Search the forum,

Discuss toilet siphon tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I could do with some general tips regarding toilet siphons. I've already mended a few in the past, including one on my own (which luckily went totally to plan). I've got another two this week, and - just in case they give me grief - would like to be prepared. So...
1. Apparently the two toilets aren't flushing properly, so my guess (I haven't yet seen them to check) is that the plastic diaphrams on the siphons have torn. Would any of you out there bother trying to source/fit a replacement plastic bit, or would you automatically fit a new, entire siphon?
2. I'm thinking of recommending a two-piece Turbo Boost siphon to my customer. I have a plumber friend who swears by them. Any thoughts on these?
3. Would you also automatically buy and fit a new close-coupler and rubber 'donut'? Or try to re-use the existing coupler?
4.I saw a youtube video yesterday in which the butterfly nuts had rusted solid. The guy used a battery-operated angle grinder to get them off. Can't say I fancy using an angle grinder so close to porcelain. Any tips here would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much everyone.
Jennie

1. Apparently the two toilets aren't flushing properly, so my guess (I haven't yet seen them to check) is that the plastic diaphrams on the siphons have torn. Would any of you out there bother trying to source/fit a replacement plastic bit, or would you automatically fit a new, entire siphon?

If the siphon is in generally good condition, I repair them. You can buy various shapes and sizes of diaphragm in packs of 5 for about £1/pack in Plumb Center. Failing that, cutting one to the right shape and size out of a rubble sack works, too...

2. I'm thinking of recommending a two-piece Turbo Boost siphon to my customer. I have a plumber friend who swears by them. Any thoughts on these?

Never had any problem with them...

3. Would you also automatically buy and fit a new close-coupler and rubber 'donut'? Or try to re-use the existing coupler?

Definitely a new doughnut. Reuse CC plate and bolts if they're not too badly rusted.

4.I saw a youtube video yesterday in which the butterfly nuts had rusted solid. The guy used a battery-operated angle grinder to get them off. Can't say I fancy using an angle grinder so close to porcelain. Any tips here would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much everyone.
Jennie

If they're so badly rusted that WD40 and grips won't shift them, I use a junior hacksaw or a small cold chisel to cut a slit in the nuts, then prise them open. A Dremel may be handy but I don't normally have that with me in the van..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made myself a wingnut remover, I'm sick and tired of seized urine infested wingnuts.

britool-bi-hexagon-sockets-metric-long-reach-1-2in-drive-range.jpg

Take one of these (cheapy will do) and grind away a slot with a decent blade in an angle grinder, make sure a wingnut fits nicely. then get the relevent adaptor shaft to fit it in an 18v cordless drill and let rip on the wingnut. It will either wind of quickly or shear off the bolt.

Some finesse if called for and yes I'm aware it could easily shear off both wings but its yet to happen, makes me wonder why I struggled so long without it?

Getting there cheers buddy. Back at work and jogging hopefully I'll be able to play football again sometime next year.

I always just replace them rather than faff about trying to repair them! As the cost is passed onto the customer and the thing is apart anyway I don't see the point in trying to make do. They hardly break the bank and I'd rather just do it once and not have to worry about it. Fortunately I've not had an issue with one I've fitted yet!

Just replace it. Although if its removable you could easily try and repair it and save a tenner. You'll definitely need a new donut.

If the nuts are seized i use a wallpaper scraper. Heat with blow lamp and slide between cistern and pan. This melts through the siphon tail. The cistern will now lift off the pan leaving the bolts now accessible easily from above the pan shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to toilet siphon tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I wonder if anyone is able to help with advice on this. We have fitted a new toilet and 6 litre cistern .. it flushes .. but not as efficiently as it should in my view. It usually needs at least 2 flushes to even shift just toilet paper. It hasn’t been used for anything other than that. It’s a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am involved in a local charity which is fundraising to restore a local pub into a community hub (and also a pub). The pub which is The Hop Pole in Limpley Stoke is in the middle of the village and it's been closed for about 4 years but the local community have raised enough money to buy it...
Replies
Views
Hi I fitted a bath/shower 12 years ago and a few months ago it developed a leak. It was basically at a coupler on 40mm solvent where my new white PVC joined the existing grey PVC. I cut a hole in the ceiling and could also easily view it with the bath panel off but not access it from there...
Replies
Views
B
Hello, I've had unfortunate issues throughout my adult life and more so since switching to a largely plant based diet of blocking toilets. Across multiple houses I've run into issues with it so I don't think it's one toilet specific, it's just me. I seem to produce a lot of poo! While it...
Replies
Views
I've got an older toilet with a huge flush capacity so I'm trying to keep it rather than replacing it with a newer lower capacity toilet. Problem is it's as old as the hills and the oval shaped rubber gasket between the tank and base has aged and water now leaks at that connection point when...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock