Search the forum,

Discuss toilet siphon tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I could do with some general tips regarding toilet siphons. I've already mended a few in the past, including one on my own (which luckily went totally to plan). I've got another two this week, and - just in case they give me grief - would like to be prepared. So...
1. Apparently the two toilets aren't flushing properly, so my guess (I haven't yet seen them to check) is that the plastic diaphrams on the siphons have torn. Would any of you out there bother trying to source/fit a replacement plastic bit, or would you automatically fit a new, entire siphon?
2. I'm thinking of recommending a two-piece Turbo Boost siphon to my customer. I have a plumber friend who swears by them. Any thoughts on these?
3. Would you also automatically buy and fit a new close-coupler and rubber 'donut'? Or try to re-use the existing coupler?
4.I saw a youtube video yesterday in which the butterfly nuts had rusted solid. The guy used a battery-operated angle grinder to get them off. Can't say I fancy using an angle grinder so close to porcelain. Any tips here would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much everyone.
Jennie

1. Apparently the two toilets aren't flushing properly, so my guess (I haven't yet seen them to check) is that the plastic diaphrams on the siphons have torn. Would any of you out there bother trying to source/fit a replacement plastic bit, or would you automatically fit a new, entire siphon?

If the siphon is in generally good condition, I repair them. You can buy various shapes and sizes of diaphragm in packs of 5 for about £1/pack in Plumb Center. Failing that, cutting one to the right shape and size out of a rubble sack works, too...

2. I'm thinking of recommending a two-piece Turbo Boost siphon to my customer. I have a plumber friend who swears by them. Any thoughts on these?

Never had any problem with them...

3. Would you also automatically buy and fit a new close-coupler and rubber 'donut'? Or try to re-use the existing coupler?

Definitely a new doughnut. Reuse CC plate and bolts if they're not too badly rusted.

4.I saw a youtube video yesterday in which the butterfly nuts had rusted solid. The guy used a battery-operated angle grinder to get them off. Can't say I fancy using an angle grinder so close to porcelain. Any tips here would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much everyone.
Jennie

If they're so badly rusted that WD40 and grips won't shift them, I use a junior hacksaw or a small cold chisel to cut a slit in the nuts, then prise them open. A Dremel may be handy but I don't normally have that with me in the van..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made myself a wingnut remover, I'm sick and tired of seized urine infested wingnuts.

britool-bi-hexagon-sockets-metric-long-reach-1-2in-drive-range.jpg

Take one of these (cheapy will do) and grind away a slot with a decent blade in an angle grinder, make sure a wingnut fits nicely. then get the relevent adaptor shaft to fit it in an 18v cordless drill and let rip on the wingnut. It will either wind of quickly or shear off the bolt.

Some finesse if called for and yes I'm aware it could easily shear off both wings but its yet to happen, makes me wonder why I struggled so long without it?

Getting there cheers buddy. Back at work and jogging hopefully I'll be able to play football again sometime next year.

I always just replace them rather than faff about trying to repair them! As the cost is passed onto the customer and the thing is apart anyway I don't see the point in trying to make do. They hardly break the bank and I'd rather just do it once and not have to worry about it. Fortunately I've not had an issue with one I've fitted yet!

Just replace it. Although if its removable you could easily try and repair it and save a tenner. You'll definitely need a new donut.

If the nuts are seized i use a wallpaper scraper. Heat with blow lamp and slide between cistern and pan. This melts through the siphon tail. The cistern will now lift off the pan leaving the bolts now accessible easily from above the pan shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to toilet siphon tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock