Discuss Toilet seat falling, at max 90 degrees in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CloudStrife

Hello,

The toilet seat constantly falls after lifting the seat and resting it against lid (at ~90 ish deg), I have tried adjusting the plastic nuts/hinges etc on the toilet seat, I can not bring it any more forward, it always remains at 90 degrees. This was not a good job by the original owner of the house who built things himself, and the water part is not far back enough.

Anyway here's some pics + dimensions, any ideas on what I can do? I have read about the "soft close" toilet seats, would this fix my problem and allow the toilet seat to remain at 90 degrees without falling?

PICTURES URL: www.postimg.org/image/x8mjd5b5f
(Sorry as I'm new poster I can't post pics/links)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wanna say Gaffa tape? :smile5: but that would rude so instead I will say sometimes the hinge fittings have adjustment themselves, take the whole thing off and have a look at the hinges rather than just the nuts underneath.

I really wanna say Gaffa tape? :smile5: but that would rude so instead I will say sometimes the hinge fittings have adjustment themselves, take the whole thing off and have a look at the hinges rather than just the nuts underneath.

I should have made it clearer in the original post. I did remove the entire toilet seat/lid, and tried to move the toilet seat as forward as it can go, but to no avail. What you see in the pic, is as forward as it can go (it's plastic hinge/nuts btw).

I approve your name!

some seat brackets step forward then hinge back.

it appears yours hing back straight away.

would cause the issue

ps you want it to sit back more than 90 degrees or there is a good chance of you knocking your knee on the pan and getting the seat to your jewels pretty sharpish :)

Last edited:
Firstly, - your cistern cannot have been moved any further back, as it is fixed to the pan at a set distance, so not the previous owner or installers fault!
The seat does look a cheap type & unadjustable. Get yourself a decent seat with fully adjustable hinges. Should cost as little as £20 - £30 for a decent one.

Its one of them seats designed by women. Its not supposed to stay up, stops them complaining when we leave it up :)

As said its a cheap seat with little adjustment.

I had same problem at home eventually I blamed it on the toilet having the holes cast in the wrong place. Changed the toilet eventually sick of it closing when if was using it.

Used to call it a '***** fly trap' haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet seat falling, at max 90 degrees in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock