Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet leaking from base - and worse if dishwasher is on! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spaniard5

Hi All

I have moved into my first home with my wife.

We have a toilet which leaks from from a specific point at the base after flushing. I *think* the water is fresh. The amount that leaks ranges from barely visible, to a patch about palm-size. The latter seems to happen if something else in the house is using water. For example, in the evening if the dishwasher is on, and the toilet is flushed, the patch is largest. In the daytime when nothing else is being used, the patch is barely visible.

The toilet has silicone around the base. The two screw holes seem to have nothing in them. The rear of the toilet is boxed in. Here are some images...

1.jpg 2.jpg

Can anyone recommend the best course of action here? Is there anything that I can have a go at myself, or do I need a plumber?

Cheers
Dave

sounds like the flush pipe has not got an adequate seal with the pan

sounds like the flush pipe has not got an adequate seal with the pan

Thanks nysk2008.

Would the process generally now be to somehow remove the silicone seal, turn the water off, flush and empty the toilet, and then pull out the toilet? Does this sound too much work for a newbie? Is this a simple job for a plumber?

I'd get a local chap in shouldn't be too expensive I'd also ask him to remove that flexi pipe and fit riged

its probably got nothing to do with the silicone around the base of the toilet to be honest. By the looks of it you have a concealed cistern; so if you flush the toilet a good few times and run you hand around around the flush pipe (the white bent pipe that goes from your cistern to the pan you will more than likely feel water when you shouldn't. If not check the water inlet that fills the cistern and make sure that's leak free and also the pan connector (that flexible thing you have) , but I would put money its your flush pipe.

its probably got nothing to do with the silicone around the base of the toilet to be honest. By the looks of it you have a concealed cistern; so if you flush the toilet a good few times and run you hand around around the flush pipe (the white bent pipe that goes from your cistern to the pan you will more than likely feel water when you shouldn't. If not check the water inlet that fills the cistern and make sure that's leak free and also the pan connector (that flexible thing you have) , but I would put money its your flush pipe.

Hi nysk2008 - I think you are spot on. I managed to get my hand (and phone for a picture) in to the boxed in area and into the flush pipe join with the pan, and it seems to be wet! You can see from the picture that it has probably been this way for some time...

3.jpg

It's just annoying now that the toilet is has a silicone seal around the base. I guess it means it all needs removing. I presume I should also ask a workman to check the quality of the flooring when he takes the toilet out?

I do have British Gass Homecare 400 cover (includes plumbing and drains) but I don't think it covers the plumbing between the cistern and the pan.

There you have it. Rubbish pan connector. Unscrew pan and replace flexi pipe for ridged with new pan connector. Throw away the zinc coated screw and use 2 1/2" brass or stainless steel screws.

if you've got plumbing and drains it should be covered; I work for a competitor of BG and I know we would cover that if you had a policy with all the bells and whistles which it sounds like you have - give them a buzz, you've got nothing to lose.
Hi nysk2008 - I think you are spot on. I managed to get my hand (and phone for a picture) in to the boxed in area and into the flush pipe join with the pan, and it seems to be wet! You can see from the picture that it has probably been this way for some time...

View attachment 14290

It's just annoying now that the toilet is has a silicone seal around the base. I guess it means it all needs removing. I presume I should also ask a workman to check the quality of the flooring when he takes the toilet out?

I do have British Gass Homecare 400 cover (includes plumbing and drains) but I don't think it covers the plumbing between the cistern and the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet leaking from base - and worse if dishwasher is on! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
I have a dishwasher that has a leak into the base that's tripping the flood switch. I tip the water out and the dishwasher works fine. I do believe I tipped it after the last wash and nothing came out. But after a while later that day I tipped it and some water came out. I have opened up the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I wonder if anyone is able to help with advice on this. We have fitted a new toilet and 6 litre cistern .. it flushes .. but not as efficiently as it should in my view. It usually needs at least 2 flushes to even shift just toilet paper. It hasn’t been used for anything other than that. It’s a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've got a toilet that's been leaking due to a faulty seal with the pan connector. We've had a plumber in to replace the pan connector, but it hasn't done anything to fix the leak (and has cost us over £200). The plumber has told us that it can't be fixed due to the height of the old...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock