Search the forum,

Discuss Tips on fixing to dot and daub plaster walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked the plaster to solid daub a few areas were I need a good fixing however they haven't. I'll be using long screws to get to the breeze block behind. Any tips on not crushing the plasterboard though. Guess using a hand held screwdriver over a drill driver will help.

span the gap with 15mm pipe copper normally cut the the depth of the plaster board

If the plasterer has not dabbed where needed and you pull the board back when fixing then let the plasterer worry about it. If they get called back to repair they may consider doing there job correctly next time.

If the plaster is less than 2-3 weeks old you will need to tighten very tight as you will get alittle srinkage and the rad brackets will move alittle. i use 4x12 screws or 6x100 in EU terms.

These bad boys have done the trick for me in the past.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-120mm-100-pack/9008h

What we do is..

Drill the hole through the plaster and blockwork, Get a piece of copper and mark the distance between the face of the plaster and the blockwork, cut it and use it as a spacer.

To alleviate slippage / shrinkage over time, we run a bead of silicon on the back of the rad bracket, so that the bracket is stuck to the plaster.
It stops the bracket from slipping if there is and shrinkage at a later date.
Just make sure the rad is level before the silicon dries, because you will have great difficulty removing the bracket when the silicon has dried - you will take a chunk of plaster off the wall.

One trick I've used if there is a void behind the plasterboard. Drill your hole through the board and into the blockwork, bang your plug in and then squirt a load of "chemfix" resin into the void behind the board. Use a screw or nail to clear the middle of the hole so you can get your screw in, give the resin 5 minutes to set and then fix whatever your fixing.
On occasion I've even cut the plasterboard away and fixed a batten to the wall, particularly for things like kitchen wall units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tips on fixing to dot and daub plaster walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m hanging a double radiator onto a dot & dab wall. I’m going to drill through the plasterboard & knock the brown plugs through to the masonry behind for a solid fixing, would this be ok?
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room and in the process adding some internal wall insulation. The wall has been stripped and my plumber is coming this week to install/reconfigure the pipework for new radiators. The walls are solid brick and as I am installing insulated plasterboards, we agreed...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it? I hired a bathroom fitting company to gut and replace 4 bathrooms in a block of holiday flats. In one of the bathrooms they missed an extremely out of plumb wall. Their...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming through the bedroom wall from the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The shower is over the bath and the bathroom walls are tiled around three sides of...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’m doing a DIY bathroom job and would be very grateful for some advice. The bathroom is in a 2nd floor flat in a converted Victorian house. The bathroom walls for the corner into which the bathtub and shower will sit appear to be dry walls with wool insulation, foil backed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock