Discuss tightness test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokecity

Gas Engineer
i do installs and after installation is complete i tightness test then purge as required

when tightness testing existing installation, say for landlords cert do you then follow purge procedure? or is there no need due to pipework no been broke into? cheers

are you removing any appiances, gas fire for flue flow etc?

If u haven't broken into the gas pipework, what would you be purge-ing?

when the gas has been turn off for a tightness test it is normally unnecessary to purge air from the installation unless the engineer believe's air has been allowed to enter. You are required to relight and perform a visual risk assessment at each appliance anyway so if the installation may need purging it can be done at an appliance while doing the risk assessment.

in the end engineers judgement is needed.

i didnt think you needed to, registered in my own right recently and im abit nervous about the gas safe inspectors visit, just trying brush up on the basics as i dnt wont nerves make me over look something simple

Ive got my first inspection on the 21/06/12 mate i know how you feel. Hope it all goes well for you. if your not sure of anything they ask u look in your viper book.

cheers danv44444, let me know how you get on, do they ask you questions on boiler faults??? im still learning in the fault finding department so im more nervous hes goin ask me a question on boiler break down and i look a complete novis

As far as I know they dont ask you questions on boiler breakdowns. Its more to do with things like Tightness testing, Gas rates and general gas safety like sleeving and things like that. Im not very good on boiler breakdowns either but im not worried about that for the inspection.

Danv44444 is right.
Don't fear the inspector. Talk to him normally and just try to come across with confidence.
All they want to know are things from the books and tightness testing etc.
They are there to help, not to catch you out.
Good luck

Danv44444 is right.
Don't fear the inspector. Talk to him normally and just try to come across with confidence.
All they want to know are things from the books and tightness testing etc.
They are there to help, not to catch you out.
Good luck

i registered our family property development business with GSR so i was placed on probation with the rest of the new firms, got my visit date through, and got well prepared for it, chunky kitkats, they guy came in and we had a chat for a wee while about gas stuff, he inspected my boiler install was quite happy with what he found, we had another chat and coffee and he went on his way quite happy, got a letter in saying all is well and im off probation, suppose its down to the fact we have met before and he is aware of what i do and where but i dtill got my visit just the same, you have nothing to fear from the visit IF you are competant and are doing a safe job

Yes they are usually great guys, very helpful as well. Many of them were in CORGI days ex-fitters themselves, so they know the score. Do not be afraid to ask their advice either on grey area questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tightness test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test...
Replies
Views
can somebody explain to me the reason why you have to do a tightness test then purge and then complete another tightness test on a lpg system...
Replies
Views
Hi - I have a Telford's Tristar Thermal store with a Caleffi 533..h PRV set to 3 bar. The PRV doesn't appear to be drop tight, so static rises...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've weirdly had two small kind of commercial decommission jobs come in today and i dont do this stuff much. At some point I've had...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock