Search the forum,

Discuss This day, 100 years ago in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
This morning, 100 years ago the battle of Somme began.
I was reminded of this tonight watching a programme on tv about the 36th Ulster Division who managed to reach and take the German front line on this day, but reinforcements never followed. And also the 16th Irish and the very moving personal stories of those that fought and died.
British casualties just on 1st July was the worst in our history with near 60,000.
The Somme battle went on to 18th November with approx one million total dead just at the Somme, half of which were British.
It is impossible to imagine the reality of that. I remember well one ww1 veteran I worked for and sadly I was reluctant to ask him of his experiences.
So if you are having a hard day, think of these men.

At 7.30am on 1st July 1916 the sound of a whistle blast marked the start of the Battle of the Somme

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Binyon.

13450749_1132433776795857_2345455256121594975_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
3 brothers - the Donaldsons from Comber Co. Down all were killed on this day at the Somme.
Just one example of many tragic events that happened many families across these British Isles and the other countries involved.

My grandmother lost 4 brothers in that war. Ironically their own father had died young, age 43, of poverty and neglect, in rural workhouse.
With the Chilcott enquiry soon to be published, lets make sure those politicians who think lives don't count, are made accountable.

My great grandad, Harry Guy, is still lying out there, somewhere.

They must have been great guys, massive respect to them for their bravery. Really humbled by it.

I also have family members who fought in the great war and it affected their whole lives later. My Great Grandfather died in 1949 from injuries sustained to his lungs in a gas attack in WW1.

My great grandfather signed up when he was 13/14 yrs old, don't know how long he was in for, but got shot through the lower arm and was sent back home, all before his 16th birthday
Can't see many parents letting that happen now
He died in the late 80's, if the bullet hadn't hit his arm, I doubt very much I would be here today
There's plenty of talk of "brave " sportsmen and women, they couldn't tie the Vets laces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to This day, 100 years ago in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock