Search the forum,

Discuss Telford Tempest Cylinders - this is beyond a joke! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Well, instead of letting me source the cylinder, the customer decided to go out and purchase a Telford Tempest solar cylinder. I've never fitted a Telford cylinder before (and never will again) On commencing installation, I found that the coil was obstructing the immersion heater when I tried to insert it.

The customer called Telford and a replacement was going to be sent out in 2 days.

The factory rang to say it was going to take longer as the second cylinder had failed its factory inspection.

3 days later the third cylinder was delivered to site and I started to install it . Firstly I connected up the pressure reducing kit, expansion vessel and water in/out and started to fill it up. There was an air hissing and water started pouring out of a seam. It was supposed to be factory tested but obviously hadn't been.

Fortunately I had a wet and dry vac to hand and fortunately again the cylinder was in a concrete floored utility room. The sponge foam insulation jacket became fully saturated with water so that even when the cylinder had been drained it was immensely heavy and awkward to move. We stood it in the customers garage and water continued to ooze out of the casing for the next couple of days.

Needless to say the customer wasn't going to try and ask for a fourth cylinder so asked for their money back in the end and told me to get one from my usual supplier ("I told you so" sprung to mind and I tried hard not to have a smug grin). Turns out that even with my mark up, my cylinder cost them less than the one they bought.

What astounds me is that three times they had faulty equipment and twice it was received on site faulty. Three out of Three faulty! It's almost comical! Makes me wonder how these companies keep going. Fortunately there was plenty of other stuff to get on with so it hasn't really held me up too much.

Last edited:
some body had hammers falling out of a telford cylinder?? ;)

reminds me of rover cars.

So far, I have found Telford cylinders, both copper vented & stainless steel unvented (Tempest) to be faultless & never any trouble later.
I didn't like their unvented copper for obvious reasons & their Tornado would surely have the disadvantage of the expansion vessel built into top, balloon membrane failing due to heat & then the steel vessel corroding eventually & mains water flooding a house!

Well, instead of letting me source the cylinder, the customer decided to go out and purchase a Telford Tempest solar cylinder. I've never fitted a Telford cylinder before (and never will again) On commencing installation, I found that the coil was obstructing the immersion heater when I tried to insert it.

The customer called Telford and a replacement was going to be sent out in 2 days.

The factory rang to say it was going to take longer as the second cylinder had failed its factory inspection.

3 days later the third cylinder was delivered to site and I started to install it . Firstly I connected up the pressure reducing kit, expansion vessel and water in/out and started to fill it up. There was an air hissing and water started pouring out of a seam. It was supposed to be factory tested but obviously hadn't been.

Fortunately I had a wet and dry vac to hand and fortunately again the cylinder was in a concrete floored utility room. The sponge foam insulation jacket became fully saturated with water so that even when the cylinder had been drained it was immensely heavy and awkward to move. We stood it in the customers garage and water continued to ooze out of the casing for the next couple of days.

Needless to say the customer wasn't going to try and ask for a fourth cylinder so asked for their money back in the end and told me to get one from my usual supplier ("I told you so" sprung to mind and I tried hard not to have a smug grin). Turns out that even with my mark up, my cylinder cost them less than the one they bought.

What astounds me is that three times they had faulty equipment and twice it was received on site faulty. Three out of Three faulty! It's almost comical! Makes me wonder how these companies keep going. Fortunately there was plenty of other stuff to get on with so it hasn't really held me up too much.

just made me worried. had recently installed solar one and going to do pressure test next week. hope it will go better for me than yours as cylinder is in the loft:D

Ive never had a problem with Telford either but have recently switched over to rm cylinders for ten months or so as they are cheaper byt seem decent. That said I had a rm fortic this week and the seam on the cwsc part was a bit dodgy at the top but as it was abive the water line I let it go. What really anniyed me though was having ti drill two holes for the float valve and the overflow.

Perhaps its just a sign of the times but quality seems to be suffering across the board.

Crossling supplies RM cylinders which is what I normally put in, with the exception of the occasional Gledhill, and one Flamco I fitted in our house. Touch wood the only problem I have had so for with those is on the horizontal RM cylinder one of the holes in the outer shell wasnt quite lined up with the tapping, but it was nothing that a Stanley blade couldnt sort.

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with the Telford Tempest cylinders we've install. I always thought they were pretty good.
The RM Cylinders are good value, but I found the casings are often creased. This is only cosmetic but still doesn't look good to the customers.

If white goods (for instance) are scratched or dented on the side, most reputable retailers would discount them or sell as ex-display - that's often how the customer views it - as seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Telford Tempest Cylinders - this is beyond a joke! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock