Search the forum,

Discuss tappy tap tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
What do you use for undoing tap backnuts when they're recessed in shapes on the underside of baths and basins that make them difficult to get at? I've seen various things on market.

I have is a basin wrench like this...

ShowImage.aspx

Which never seems to fit any flipping backnut. All I use it for is tweeking the nuts on flexi's a quater-turn after hand-tight. I've also got normal adjustable spanners, different size grips and a monoblock box spanner.

Also got one of these but again it's not good for very tight recesses..Don't think I've ever succesfully used it...

ShowImage.aspx

Wondering what to buy. I see you can buy box spanners in tap-back-nut sizes like this:

ShowImage.aspx

Any good?

Any other suggestions. I'm sure mechanics must have tools that would do the job easier than this lot.

Half the time I just end up wrestling with my grips.

Last edited:
The first type basin wrench is ok for 1/2" but to fit 3/4" you need to bend it in a bit by giving it a tap with a hammer, not too much or it will break. Generally shyte. Avoid.

The monument crowfoot is about the best of these. The spring loaded ones are too chunky to fit easily in many basins though can be used one handed. There is a knack to working these and is the best tool once mastered. You can also get large hooks for waste pipes.

Box spanners are great for fitting taps. The easiest and best of the lot BUT cannot be used to tighten a backnut once a pipe is connected.

When i was young i had an adjustable that i got my mate who worked in a machine shop, to bend to an angle of about 60 odd deg just after the wheel. It worked great on the basins but i lost it many years ago.

OK so I'm only an amateur. I have fitted 4 bathrooms, and changed the odd tap. I have a basin wrench. As far as I can tell it is more use as a hammer.

monument basin wrench every time, i only use a box key for monobloc taps, a 1/2" x 3/4" box key is just something else to have in the tool box, the basin wrench has never let me down yet

i use the jaw dropper kit but still even that sometimes doesnt fit and have to go back to the trusty tap spanner in the second picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tappy tap tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock