Search the forum,

Discuss Tap with a gap... what am I doing wrong? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter J

Hope this is the correct forum...

She-who-must-be-obeyed, has had me fitting a basin mixer bathroom tap. Trouble is, tightening the bolts that secure the tap to the basin, tends to pull the whole tap down more at the back edge, causing the front to raise slightly. This leaves a non-watertight gap between the chromed ring/washer (on which the whole tap sits) and the sink itself.

The retaining bolts on this tap are located more towards the back, which seems to exacerbate the whole problem.

No matter how much I attempt to keep the chromed washer between the tap and basin centred when tightening the bolts, it always shifts forward slightly, and becomes raised at the front.

Am I doing something wrong... is there a simple answer, or is this an inherent problem with the tap design? [Shameless attempt to blame kit].

I just want the washer to sit flat and to create a watertight seal between tap and basin.

Help very much appreciated.

Peter.

Hi Pete what make of tap are you trying to fit....you need ten posts before you put up pics on here so if you can let us know perhaps we can google it and help that way regards Turnpin:smile5:

Hi Pete what make of tap are you trying to fit....you need ten posts before you put up pics on here so if you can let us know perhaps we can google it and help that way regards Turnpin:smile5:

Hello Turnpin,

Thanks for your reply.

It's the 'Swirl Elevate Eco' mono basin mixer bathroom tap with pop-up waste.

I was stupidly attempting to post images, but now realise why I couldn't [cringe].

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete just done a google and found it's from screwfix "supplied with fixing kit" any washers with that kit I would have thought a rubber or nylon washer to sit under the chrome ring to stop any movement when tightened up....regards Turnpin:smile5:

Hi Pete just done a google and found it's from screwfix "supplied with fixing kit" any washers with that kit I would have thought a rubber or nylon washer to sit under the chrome ring to stop any movement when tightened up....regards Turnpin:smile5:

Yes, two washers which (according to the instructions) are located on the underside of the sink. These are kind of horseshoe-shaped... one rubber and one metal.

The chromed ring on which the tap sits has an integral rubber ring on its underside, which you would think would be sufficient to hold the whole lot in place, but when tightening up the retaining bolts, the unit has a propensity to tilt backwards and cause a slight gap between chromed ring and the sink.

Just wondering how to create an equal amount of downward pressure across the entire base of the tap so that it doesn't lean backwards when tightened up. Grrr!

P.

Hi Pete tend to agree with PlumbstarTom more likely to be some imperfection with the basin if the gap is not too bad can you not seal it with a little silicon ...regards Turnpin:smile5:

Thanks for all your input, gents. I think you are both probably right.

Sealant will have to be the answer for now. I'm also thinking maybe of placing a washer between the sink and the chromed ring. Not sure if this would be advisable or if it will be 'compatible' with the use of sealant... any thoughts?

Also, is it the done thing to try to seal the underside too, perhaps with Mait or some other sealant?

Thanks once again for all the help.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap with a gap... what am I doing wrong? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock