Discuss Tap Removal From Ceramic Basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need to remove a tap from a large ceramic (expensive) basin. The backnut has completely corroded and is not budging. I soaked it in penetrating oil and still no go.

Room around the backnut is limited. There is a rubber washer in between 2 metal plates that go onto the underside of the tap, before the backnut.

I'm thinking, somehow of using a hacksaw to cut the backnut by going in between the 2 metal plates??? But I'm not positive I'll even get a junior hacksaw in the space...

Any other suggestions???

A hammer and chisel is out the question haha

A couple of images for info:

b889f1e68ff1ac06abe2c2de7f4b2756.jpg

0a66edbb60879d2b824c8b5f47d344af.jpg

Can't get a grinder in there, no space.. tried a socket and the nut just turns. The crosshead is what needs to come out..

First of all, it looks as if the original bolt and nut assembly hasn't been used and bodged with a cross head bolt and a nut as a packer. I've done something like this before, If you can get a cordless drill in, use a very good quality 3mm hss drill bit to drill DIRECTLY in the middle about 5mm deep, then a 4mm bit, then 5mm, then 6mm and so on until you've drill through bolt head and to the attaching threaded shaft.

Dya get me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap Removal From Ceramic Basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock