Search the forum,

Discuss System boiler(unvented pressure system) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone.

New to plumbing so excuse the noob questions?

Would like to replace existing heating system with a new indirect system boiler (unvented pressure system) and need some advice before I plunge into company quotes.

Existing system is a Conventional Gas Boiler System with hot water cylinder, pump, cold water tank in the loft. It is working fine but due to loft conversion and renovation the loft installations will be removed or relocated (hot water cylinder, water tanks and existing expansion tank) and ideally we relicate the boiler too.

Can I keep the very ‘old’ boiler (Potterron Profile 50e) , hot water tank and existing radiators and any of the plumbing providing the pipes are ok for increased pressure?

In total there will be 12 radiators(8 existing ones) and 2 bathrooms + kitchen and availability will be for 250l max for a new cylinder from my math in a cupboard or a utility room at the ground floor.
The house is a semid bungalow, 4 beds with a total of 100-110sqm.

On the other hand i am still researching what brands to go for. Megaflo seems ok but expensive and complicated. I am for a simpler system evwn if it means additional expansion vessel.

I am researching combi too but if price diff is 1k range for a complete new system as i’ve heard from various builders will go for the system one.
I haven’t seen around combis with a water tank included as are Ferolli ones in EU. I had that in a similar size home on the continent and it eas brilliant for our needs.

the confusion comes from when reading a book ‘Bible for self Builders’ where the conventional and system have literally same components. I know devil is in details ...

I am also adept of doing it once instead of lifting the floorboards and drilling after a year or two when existing system fails.

Thanks

E7AD8355-B9A2-41D0-85EC-4E9B4F8BEFB1.jpeg

First bit of advice I’d give you is stop talking to builders about plumbing. Very very few understand how a heating system works correctly.builders build, plumbers plumb. I am probably being very thick but what are you actually asking ?????? Old boilers are very very problematic when moved be warned. From reading what I’m reading the answer is yes a new boiler can be fitted, but I don’t really understand what specifics you need. Please clarify and we’ll be happy to help, however the absolute best answer I can give is get a few engineers out to advise and quote for the works. You are neither qualified to fit a boiler or a pressurised cylinder (megaflow) so I would put down the “bible” and get some bodies on site to size a correct system for you. The fact that you can’t see the differences between the pics In your book would suggest you need some pro advice.

Last edited:
I would agree with Riley. You need some advice from professional Heating Engineers. They will be able to assess your requirements and advise you accordingly. There are different options available of course but not all will suit you. They will calculate the heat losses from your property, which will enable them to advise you on Boiler size and emitter outputs in various areas. Twelve radiators could be any output you like, depending on size and temperature.

Central Heating and Domestic Hot Water are well worth doing correctly right from the start. Most modern Boilers are available with a 10 year parts and labour warranty now and most cylinders have 25 year guarantee on the product itself (not component parts), so it is not worth trying to make do with old appliances when making significant alterations to your property.

I understand where you are comming from.
I am asking if i can reuse some of the old kit into the new system and if it is feasible.
While waiting for architect confirmation where utility room goes i have already booked some engineers.
never said i will do it or asked for advice how to do it myself though. I am Msc enginer and kind of know my competences while it’s more profitable for me to focus on my field of expertise than mess with this i still would like to get basic knowledge so I don’t fall for builder BS when they quote 12k for such systems or say they could reuse parts and cut corners. Afterall still loads of money and time wasted.

As I’ve already said don’t ask a builder. And as a hint to not put peoples nose out of joint don’t say I’m an engineer but don’t want to waste my time with it. If you’re gas safe/G3 crack on if not don’t as it’s illegal

Nope. At first glance in the picture it says on both hot watter tank, motorised valve, expansion vessels. Indeed the guy states in the boom to get corgi or G3 to install but the more i understand the better i can spend my time selecting adequate people to hire and in case they mess around we cut it short.
Unfortunately it’s still builders market and i am amazed by their pricing with quotes about 3x bigger than the actual job. Wonder who falls for these prices even if it’s London. We’ll see how it goes for them in couple of years.

They will overprice and sub it out. Give us questions what do you want to know?That will be more use to you

Reply to System boiler(unvented pressure system) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock