Discuss switching to an unvented cylinder, SW London in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neu

Hi,

We're having our bathroom retiled, and refitted. We currently have a gravity fed system, but would ideally like to install high pressure fittings. Therefore we're interested in switching to an unvented hot water system. This is assuming the mains pressure is suitable (we suspect it is but haven't measured it).

Happy to listen to advice and opinions on the best options available.

We're based in the Kingston area.

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

Hi Tom
Welcome to the forum,
You will no doubt be aware that the installation of this type of hot water heater is covered by the Building Regulations AD Part G (3), not only should any installation be notified to your Building Control office but any work on these must be carried out by a competent person this should be confirmed by ask to see potential installers un-vent cards.
It is not all about the pressure with these systems, the flow rate needs to be checked as a minimum you will need something like 1.5 Bar & 20 Litres/Minute depending on the size of property.
Just remember the water undertaker is only legally obliged to supply a minimum of 1 Bar at the street side, the pressure can be turn down to this at any time.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I was concerned about the regulations and safely of installing a sealed system, that's why I chose to use this forum for info.

By un-vent card do you mean their g3 registration?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I was concerned about the regulations and safely of installing a sealed system, that's why I chose to use this forum for info.

By un-vent card do you mean their g3 registration?

Thanks,
Tom
They should normally have a card to show they have passed training & assessment on these, BPEC is a common one but there are others. this is the minimum. Some companies have joined a Competent Person Scheme which allows them the register your installation for you, if not you will need to raise a Building Notice & pay the fee, check Kingston counsel web site.

It is just that around 75-80% for all installs I go to are not correctly installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to switching to an unvented cylinder, SW London in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating source to a heat pump and so I have had a new water cylinder installed (different internal element...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
    • Funny
Hi guys, I have a question regarding converting an open vent system (copper cylinder) to pressurized, reason being not enough drop from the loft...
Replies
Views
Hi, am getting our bathroom updated and local company suggested ditching our traditional attic CW tank/vented cylinder and pump for the shower and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock