Discuss Switching off my radiator broken thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dale1995

Can anybody tell me how to switch my bedroom radiator off its on full blast in a small room like a sweat box and my thermostat broken the other day cheers

Switching radiator off or down with broken thermostat?

Can anybody tell me how to switch my bedroom radiator off or down its on full blast in a small room like a sweat box and my thermostat broken the other day cheers. There's like a nut on the side were the thermostat was is that what turns it down or will it leak?

Re: Switching radiator off or down with broken thermostat?

You can close off the lockshield side if the Thermostatic side has broken, as long as there used to be a thermostatic valve on there then this is not the heat dump radiator or bypass radiator so you can safely just close the remaining working valve.

Assuming its the thermostat on the radiator that is broken, then:

1. Either turn the room thermostat (if you have one) down shutting off all heating.
OR
2. At the other end of the radiator there is likely to be another valve. Remove the cover, and use a spanner or grips / pliers to shut this valve (turn clockwise looking down on the top). Count the number of 1/4 turns required to shut it, so that when the thermostatic valve is replaced the valve can be re-opened to the same point.

Re: Switching radiator off or down with broken thermostat?

You can close off the lockshield side if the Thermostatic side has broken, as long as there used to be a thermostatic valve on there then this is not the heat dump radiator or bypass radiator so you can safely just close the remaining working valve.

Thanks mate just done it now am I ok to just twist it back on if I need it on?

Yeah. They do tend to start passing water if used a lot though so you need to sort out the broken side at some point.
Is it just the plastic head of the thermostatic side that is broken? If so take the head to a plumbers merchant (not one of the big sheds) and they should be able to source a new head for it, that way you don't need to replace the whole valve which would involve draining down the system.

ok it's been a bit wet, but why is the heating on??
is there more of an issue here than the broken valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Switching off my radiator broken thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock