Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Strange Blocked Sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hungry Horace

My kitchen sink is blocked, if I run the tap for 30 seconds the water starts backing up. The fittings under the sink are the usual plastic trap with a dishwasher connected and the overflow goes to a secondary smaller sink (where we keep washing up brush etc). After the u-bend it goes straight into the wall and into the drain. The kitchen is located on the first floor and there are other rooms on this floor with sinks, washing machine etc but these are all fine.
I have disconnected all the fittings and cleaned them but they were not blocked, I then ran a hose from the tap straight into the hole in the wall and ran the water for 5 minutes and it didnt back up, reconnected everything ran the tap for 30 seconds and it backed up. Afterwards the sink was making a glugging sound for quite a while so I ran the tap briefly and the noise stopped but it is still backing up.
As you can guess I am at a total loss as to what the cause is, any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Thanks for the reply. Your statement that its obviously blocked further down seems obvious but how come if I remove the trap and put a hose straight into the waste hole in the wall and run the water it doesn't back up. This tells me that there isn't a blockage further down, hence why I posted on here as it doesn't make sense to me.
I should say the sink does drain just very very slowly.

only kidding!

has it always drained slow? or was it once ok? is the pipework ok falls going the right way etc?

i had a similar problem once and it was a disc of congealed fat, i undid and ran water through as you did reassembled and tested only to find still not draining. it was moving in pipe and becoming lodged again but sometimes letting water past. so don't just run water through actually shove something through the trap and pipes

Alternatively try a power flusher . Available from B&Q for about ÂŁ12. It sends a jet of compressed air through the pipes from the waste. Its never failed me yet.

The sink did drain ok it just started happening a week or so ago, so initially I thought it was blocked. All the falls are ok as I didnt touch them until the problem occured.
Also I totally cleaned the trap so there is definately nothing blocking it. I have also put a snake spring in the pipework to a length of 10 metres and didnt come against a blockage only a few stiff areas which I guess were bends in the pipework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange Blocked Sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
J
I own a top floor flat in a 4 storey block, i bought it 3 months ago (meaning that this is an issue i will have to personally deal with, no...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi everyone, just recently everytime I run a bath, flush the toilet, turn in the washing machine or use anything water related my kitchen taps...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock