Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen and bathroom system legit or not? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located?

I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one).

Kitchen:
From the ground floor to the attic space there is a 22mm pipe in my kitchen wall panel which has a 15mm pipe with a stop valve on it and the 15mm then goes onto across under the kitchen sink. When I turn off the wall panel stop valve it turns off the hot water to the kitchen and bathroom faucets.

There is another stop valve located under the kitchen sink on the 15mm cold pipe feed which is coming from the wall panel and is teed onto the main supply pipe and when I turn it off it switches off the cold water supply to the kitchen sink but not the bathroom.

Bathroom
My airing cupboard has two supply pipes once again run from the ground floor and into the attic space. The cold water feed supply 22mm pipe has a red gate valve on it and when it is fully turned off it switches off the cold water supply to the bathroom.

The only 15mm pipe in the wall panel is a odd one to me because when I turn it off under the sink it switches off the cold water only under the sink, yet with the same 15mm pipe in the wall panel when I turn off the stop valve it switches off the hot water in the kitchen and bathroom faucets.

Attic
In the attic I also have a stop tap which turns off the cold water to my bathroom bath tub, shower, basin and toilet but not the kitchen supply.

Is the above all normal and usual in flats or is the system butchered? Any information would be appreciated as always.

Last edited:
Sounds like the kind of set up you get left with when a gravity system is converted to a combi system- is it possible this has happened in the past?

Thank you and from what my neighbours have told me quite some time ago the flats used to have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and connected to the water tank in the attic.
The cold tap water was only mains supplied where as now it is all mains fed and there is a gas combi boiler in the kitchen.

In that case is this set up still okay or should it be changed? Is the 22mm pipe in the wall panel the rising main? Thank you.

Pics of stop valve on cold pipe which is teed onto the 22mn pipe in wall panel, under sink stop valve, and airing cupboard bathroom cold supply stop valve.

Attachments

• IMG_20231002_070440_572.jpg
    IMG_20231002_070440_572.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220713_211654_912.jpg
    IMG_20220713_211654_912.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231002_070148_708.jpg
    IMG_20231002_070148_708.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230511_062245_699.jpg
    IMG_20230511_062245_699.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Kitchen and bathroom system legit or not? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock