Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Storage combi boilers in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Gemma

Gemma New Member

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on storage combi boilers - particularly the viessmann 111-w. We currently have a gravity fed system but the space where the cylinder is is needed for internal renovations. Would this be a good solution - ie better than a standard combi in terms of hot water provision? We do have space for the boiler itself (I understand it is larger than standard combis).

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

How many bathrooms do you have?
    What’s your incoming flow and pressure?

3. Gemma

Gemma New Member

Mains was measured at 20lpm at the outside tap. Currently have one bathroom with shower over the bath (power shower - I understand this will have to go). Will be potentially adding an en suite in future but I expect the shower over the bath will become redundant if we do. Main requirements at the moment are to free up space where the cylinder is and to ensure we still get a decent (as in good pressure) hot shower over the bath. But I've never lived in a house with a combi before so I'm a bit concerned about all the negatives I've read (drop in pressure when a tap turned etc).

4. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You will need static and dynamic pressure and flow this will ascertain If you have the capability when more than one outlet is open. If you have any ideals to run more than one good shower or a shower and the bath at the same time then I wouldn’t look at a combi

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

How many occupants does your house have and how likely will it be that multiple hot water outlets will be used?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Have you got mains lead pipe?or is the mains pipe already upgraded?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Or cast iron, they're a nightmare for furring up and reducing flow rates.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gemma

Gemma New Member

I'm told the mains pipe is plastic?

9. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Get it checked and get the additional water measurements otherwise you may get caught out

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gemma

Gemma New Member

Will do, thank you. Is a storage combi worth paying extra for over and above a standard combi assuming measurements ok?

11. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

for me if you have the space for it yes they are about twice the size in in depth and slightly wider, also the viesmann has a great weather compensation system for the price of a sensor approx £35.00

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gemma

Gemma New Member

Space for the boiler is one thing we do have, the current boiler is in a deep cupboard over the stairs.

13. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Gemma , you will not go wrong with a 111 , best storage combi out there .

• Like Like x 1
  14. gmartine

gmartine GSR

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Cast iron? Never came across cast iron yet :) scary **** though :)