Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

will1e

hi to all, neebie on this forum and would appreciate some advice if possible please,

main stopcock in house wont shut off properly and dosent seem very practical to change it. the house as built before the 1950's and loos like the only way to change it is to switch off the water In the street ,rather than go down that line I have a new stopcock i could fit next to the old one and leave the old one always fully open, the pipe coming from the old stopcock is 22mm (copper) but the "IN" side on my new stopcock is 25mm, is there any adapter that will take the copper pipe up from 22 to 25mm so I can fit it into the stopcock. many thanks

I'm In a block of 4 and looks like only 1 valve for all of us, and also I have a concrete floor with only about 2' to crawl about in and the nut at the bottom of the old stopcock is flush with the floor and looks like it could be a nightmare to change

Hi there will 1e and welcome to the forum. You have purchased the wrong stopcock. The stopcock you've bought is for 25mm mdpe alk ethene pipe. This will only fit by using an adaptor but me personally would simply purchase the proper 22mm stopcock just incase the copper is imperial and the adaptor will leak.
There's no probs with leaving old one in and simply cutting new one in above it if you have the room and it's not an eyesore . But defo change the stopcock to proper size unless you plan running in new blue pipework.

Hi there will 1e and welcome to the forum. You have purchased the wrong stopcock. The stopcock you've bought is for 25mm mdpe alk ethene pipe. This will only fit by using an adaptor but me personally would simply purchase the proper 22mm stopcock just incase the copper is imperial and the adaptor will leak.
There's no probs with leaving old one in and simply cutting new one in above it if you have the room and it's not an eyesore . But defo change the stopcock to proper size unless you plan running in new blue pipework.

Yep agree with what kris said :)

me personally would shut it off on the street and change the existing one.

Other alternative is to install a sure stop water switch if pipework allows!? valve needs to be installed before first draw off otherwise all of the property will not shut off!

Plumstar is dead right Thats what we do - when you find the valve outside
get then correct 't' bar for the valve end and maybe after you have
cleared all the soil etc out then drop some oil onto day before to make it turn
BUT hey you may have a water meter CHK
What's wrong with turning it off in the street?

Do it properly and replace that old stopcock

Turn the water off in the street, remove stopcock innards and rewasher? done quite a few of these and they usually come apart ok with a bit of heat on the threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock