Discuss Starting to feel like a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

Asked to replace some old single rads for doubles. open vented indirect cylinder system without any motorised valves. 5 rads were 2 pipe, but other two looked 1 pipe and were connected to the hot water coil circuit.

Anyways removed the 1 pipe system , capping a pipe in the airing cupboard and then next to the boiler. I thought this all through before hand, trying to logically work out the system in my head. Everything was old pipe which made my pipe slice useless and to be honest i was starting to doubt my ability. Had i understood it correctly, have i capped the right pipes or would i get water through the ceiling?

Today was switch on day, and due to customers guilt came home before everything got fully hot. 1 hour later phone rings and customer tells me that heating wont come on. Asked him to check the pipes and everything cold apart from immeadiate boiler area. Airlock? did i cut the right pipes? What have i done?
Came away from the call feeling sick and frantically trying to re question what i`d done and my thinking.

Then it hit me! Rang the customer and asked him to turn up the room stat..... which was on zero:D. Result! Customer loving the warmth and their plumber!

I realise many of you do this stuff standing on your head, but its the first time ive really been faced with mixed 1 and 2 pipe systems, first time ive actually changed a system rather than like for like stuff.

So im basking in pride right now :), makes a nice change to fitting taps!

nice 1 mate nothing like the sens of pride you get on your 1st proper brain teaser ! ive been to countless botch jobs and you stand there thinking how the hell has this ever worked ! proper dis-hearting till you fix it then its ohhh yeah i am the daddy !

good on you,traineedrip,pleased it all worked out well for you......respect :)

Thanks chaps! Onwards and upwards to the next learning curve.

I found the first of these types of jobs nerve racking and still find some of them tricky. Luckily on bigger jobs I often work with an experienced plumber (some jobs are his and some are mine) and I'm learning loads that way!

I still have at least 1 day a week like this and Ive been doing it nearly 15 yrs, youl always come up with a soloution though :).

good for you but dont forget the forums are here to help if you need it:)regards turnpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting to feel like a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up...
Replies
Views
I had my indirect hot water cylinder removed a few days ago and the central heating boiler and pump is turned off at the fuse spur right next to...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello, I would like to ask for a bit of advice. I was helping my friends with their bathroom renovation as they are in a rush, expecting a baby...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock