Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Starting to feel like a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

Asked to replace some old single rads for doubles. open vented indirect cylinder system without any motorised valves. 5 rads were 2 pipe, but other two looked 1 pipe and were connected to the hot water coil circuit.

Anyways removed the 1 pipe system , capping a pipe in the airing cupboard and then next to the boiler. I thought this all through before hand, trying to logically work out the system in my head. Everything was old pipe which made my pipe slice useless and to be honest i was starting to doubt my ability. Had i understood it correctly, have i capped the right pipes or would i get water through the ceiling?

Today was switch on day, and due to customers guilt came home before everything got fully hot. 1 hour later phone rings and customer tells me that heating wont come on. Asked him to check the pipes and everything cold apart from immeadiate boiler area. Airlock? did i cut the right pipes? What have i done?
Came away from the call feeling sick and frantically trying to re question what i`d done and my thinking.

Then it hit me! Rang the customer and asked him to turn up the room stat..... which was on zero:D. Result! Customer loving the warmth and their plumber!

I realise many of you do this stuff standing on your head, but its the first time ive really been faced with mixed 1 and 2 pipe systems, first time ive actually changed a system rather than like for like stuff.

So im basking in pride right now :), makes a nice change to fitting taps!

nice 1 mate nothing like the sens of pride you get on your 1st proper brain teaser ! ive been to countless botch jobs and you stand there thinking how the hell has this ever worked ! proper dis-hearting till you fix it then its ohhh yeah i am the daddy !

good on you,traineedrip,pleased it all worked out well for you......respect :)

Thanks chaps! Onwards and upwards to the next learning curve.

I found the first of these types of jobs nerve racking and still find some of them tricky. Luckily on bigger jobs I often work with an experienced plumber (some jobs are his and some are mine) and I'm learning loads that way!

I still have at least 1 day a week like this and Ive been doing it nearly 15 yrs, youl always come up with a soloution though :).

good for you but dont forget the forums are here to help if you need it:)regards turnpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting to feel like a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock