Search the forum,

Discuss stainless steel domestic pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jerry

Gas Engineer
Gentlemen!

Any idea how to T off of this shiny pipe?

I've heard about them but new come across them before.

Many thanks,

J

Ps I have heard they are a liability and best replaced. Any comments?

2019-06-27 14.12.41.jpg

Run!!!
It’s fine until you move it. Then it just falls out of the soldered fittings.
If your careful, you can use a compression fitting. 15mm is fine. But, as it’s imperial. You will need 3/4 olives.
Use paste too.

My only plan is compression but donthey require a special fitting, olive etc etc??
Run!!!
It’s fine until you move it. Then it just falls out of the soldered fittings.
If your careful, you can use a compression fitting. 15mm is fine. But, as it’s imperial. You will need 3/4 olives.
Use paste too.
Many thanks

Gentlemen!

Any idea how to T off of this shiny pipe?

I've heard about them but new come across them before.

Many thanks,

J

Ps I have heard they are a liability and best replaced. Any comments?

View attachment 39362
Is it SS or truweld?
If it's Truweld you can normally solder it but it does depend on the external condition. It was steel pipe which had been tinned. It is best to remove it altogether if possible.

Trueweld

Thank all!
The client doesn't want to replace.
I have decided to connect on to it, at a less aesthetically pleasing location, where there are some old compression joints.
Thanks for the help.
J

Looks like stainless to me & with that steel nail as a clip on the joist it is a good job it isn't copper. If only compression joints have been used most likely, how old is the house / installation? S/Steel was being used 1977 - 1979 in Kent

After some reading and listening to the advice here, I cut the pipe with a hack saw and fitted a 22mm compression fitting with 3/4" olive. Plenty of tape and paste.

It seems to have held but getting the olive on was a bigger.

Cheers all!

J

20190628_181540.jpg

Never heard of trueweld before but the design of olives/ferrules for s/s are completely different to copper due to the hardness of the stuff. There generally a wedge shape that crimps into the tube wall.

So, from my very recent experience with the stainless stuff.....that is not soldered:

• Only tried compression fittings
  • 22mm needs a 3/4" olive. 15mm needs 15mm olive. Plenty of tape and paste
  • You will need a file to chamfer the 22mm pipe to get the 3/4" olive on. I resorted to hammering the fecking thing on.....while in the fitting with the nut on!
  • Cut pipe inside looked clean
  • Get a new hacksaw blade
I also heard a press fitting might work.

Some of the pipe bends were extreme. I guess they really really wanted to cut down on joins.

Pipe clips? Try bent over nails!

Hope this helps some other poor fool who stumble across this stuff.

J

So, from my very recent experience with the stainless stuff...that is not soldered:

• Only tried compression fittings
  • 22mm needs a 3/4" olive. 15mm needs 15mm olive. Plenty of tape and paste
  • You will need a file to chamfer the 22mm pipe to get the 3/4" olive on. I resorted to hammering the fecking thing on...while in the fitting with the nut on!
  • Cut pipe inside looked clean
  • Get a new hacksaw blade
I also heard a press fitting might work.

Some of the pipe bends were extreme. I guess they really really wanted to cut down on joins.

Pipe clips? Try bent over nails!

Hope this helps some other poor fool who stumble across this stuff.

J

Given the potential damage involved with water I’d be questioning the manufacturer as to if their products can be used with this type of pipe.

If anything were to go wrong I suspect the manufacturer and your insurers may have something to say. Best mixing steel and copper you’ve created a galvanic corrosion cell at the fitting that will likely dramatically reduce its life.

Given the potential damage involved with water I’d be questioning the manufacturer as to if their products can be used with this type of pipe.

If anything were to go wrong I suspect the manufacturer and your insurers may have something to say. Best mixing steel and copper you’ve created a galvanic corrosion cell at the fitting that will likely dramatically reduce its life.

Agreed. They will probably say that it should all be taken out. Glad I got it in writing that the homeowner accepts full responsibility!

Also, stainless was only used in non visible locations. The installation was there already a mix of copper and stainless steel, joined with compression only. I just added a touch of (non reactive?) plastic to the mix

Reply to stainless steel domestic pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock