Discuss Splitting an outside mains supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen Mason

Hi,

I have been tasked with spliting an outdoor water mains supply, which currently feeds straight into a water trough with a ball-valve. The plan is to split it so that it goes to the trough, as well providing a tap for a hose. A picture of the current setup is at the bottom of this post.

I understand that i will need some kind of tee fitting to split the supply, but i'm not sure what type of fitting i need. Compression? Could anybody give me some sort of idea from the below pictures?

We do have access to turn the supply off.

Many thanks
Stephen
IMG-20130904-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20130904-WA0012.jpg

you need a MDPE T joint what size is the pipe?
youll need a MDPE plate elbow with a bibtap with cheack valve built it.
are you putting it on a wall or post? lagging is a good plan

can you urn the water off if not youll need a sqeeze off..
you will need
mdpe_tee.gif
MDPE Wall Plate For Bib Tap.jpg
just too start you off...

Hi, Thanks for the advice, they do look like the reducer which is already on there. I believe the main supply is 25mm and reduced to 20mm before the plastic elbow.

We can turn off the water thankfully! We're planning to attach the plate elbow to a wooden post.

Lets see how i get on tomorrow!

Cheers
S

God help whos asked you to do plumbing when you need to ask others how to 'tee' off a pipe lol

as much as anything it depends what matierial you already have bugger buying a full roll of mdpe just to stick a tap in just get a heater tee and put the bib cock in that thats if they still make them or pull the pipe away from the tank and run of the swivel elbow with copper

[DLMURL]http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/_assets/media/Guidance_for_the_laying_of_water_supply_pipes.pdf[/DLMURL]

page 7 give a picture of what you should be doing for an outside tap on a post.
I know you already have the pipe existing, fit the double check valve as shown, low as possible and everything really well insulated.
tap with incorporated check valve is only for a like for like replacement, as they are to open for frost damage

Last edited by a moderator:
he hasnt said if the new tap is sitting next too the tank or if half a mile away from it????
double check valve lowest point is best sorry keep it all rapped up and out of the sun
you can use copper if your just coming off the tank but not good plan really stick too MDPE I think you can still get the black one that is UV protected i think
Any works tho under ground you need to rap the pipe in soft sand and mark with water mains tape and dig out about 700mm deep if your taking the tap far from the tank fit a stopcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Splitting an outside mains supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock