Discuss Spinner caps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garythegas

Anyone know where you can get a tool to remove the security caps on meters,the type that turn round,had a small brass tool before but lost it,thanks

Don't bother, they're rubbish! I've tried using it loads, can't get them off. I usually get my grips at the bottom and grip them as tightly as possible. Then undo it and the outer usually grips the inner cap and undoes it. Then I usually tap the cap on something like a manhole cover of something hard, which forces the pin out so it can be used again.

If you want a tool, I don't know where you get them from, my supervisor gave me mine.

PM me your address Gary you can have it. It needs new O rings.

wot u onabout?
Its a thingy for a wotsit P1000745.jpg

That's it ^^^^^^^.

I used mine again today. Someone told me to literally pack the thing with grease. I did and it worked. So there's a heads up. My manager says the spin caps are about £13 each!

I thought these spin caps were only used by Distribution networks..now largley withdrawn?

last time I saw one was about ten years ago there maybe some old seals about

We use them on an almost daily basis. We get them in, but my manager deals with it. I can ask him next time and let you know.

Thanks for all the info lads,think the word hammer/screwdriver comes to mind

Those tools aren't great, but gripping the bottom of the fitting hard will unscrew it!

If the spin cap is on the meter outlet then someone has used the wrong cap. They are designed for use when permanently capping the MCV/ECV. If you are removing them from the MCV I assume you are a meter installer or TOFU operator, in which case how come the removal tool hasn't been issued to you?

For those who haven't seen the tool, it essentually provides suction to pull the locking pin.

We use them all the time just to cap off an installation in an empty property. It's part of the housing association contract.

A good grip on the bottom on the cap topper will twist off the whole cap.

The fix for removing these spin caps with the tool is..

1) squirt the plunger on the spin cap that the tool screws into with easit squiry type lube.

2)make sure the o ring is in place on the tool

3) remove threaded plunger from tool and put some silicon lube in the barrel

4)fit tool to cap,screw plunger in,,job done. These were originally designed as an air pressure operated tool but needless to say ,they didnt often work. Hydraulic pressure from the silicon lube will work every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Spinner caps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock