Discuss speed fit on secondary return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps but perhaps not.

The point being that as an installer you have to cater for the potential use and its not unreasonable to assume that a HH may want instant hot water on some occasions 24/7.

Perhaps but perhaps not.

The point being that as an installer you have to cater for the potential use and its not unreasonable to assume that a HH may want instant hot water on some occasions 24/7.

You do it your way and ill do it my way
Simple
The way fuel is going the least amount that can be used the better and more cost effective

Right I will just tell you why not to use plastic on secondary returns.....

This came from a big chief at Hep20 owned by Wavin......we kept going to water leaks in a nursing home when the pipe had failed, so lads on call just banged a meter with a couple of sockets job done, but sadly, it kept happening, I got called out and noticed it was only the secondary return, every other pipe installed in the same place and the same time, same materials etc was ok......

i made a call, and it basically comes down to the pipes composition, it is not continually rated for heat 24/7 like Mike pointed out, why? Because of the memory effect it needs to cool down, he quoted for every hour on, it should be off an hour, obviously not intermittently, but if on 12 hours it should be off 12 hours in total......as the plastic heats it changes state, and only relaxes and goes back to the state when cool, if it does not get back to its original state, it becomes more brittle and will fail eventually.....just like bending a shatter proof ruler, it won't break straight away, bit it will turn white, where the stress is, then fail at that point, if it is subjected to more stress over time.

As some have pointed out, in domestic applications where the pump is timed it should not be a problem, unless its left on constant......be warned insurance companies are getting wise to water damaged claims, we had the one in a new build, loss adjuster with the aid of his plumber, pointed out it was not fit for purpose, they refused to pay out!

Vern has it spot on. If you use pushfit on a secondary return, and get a problem, the manufacturer immediately has a get-out from their warranty. Your insurance company will also refuse to pay out, because, as the manufacturer has expressly forbidden its use, you have used materials that are not fit for purpose.

No amount of arguing about timers and stats and duty cycles will change the fact that the manufacturer clearly states not to use their product in this way. Whatever the underlying reason for that statement, its existence means that you would be 100% liable for any claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should make a point too said new build was a 6 bed, oak doors, floors etc, very nice only around 3 year old, they guy left everything on constant and used the room stats etc, hot water and secondary return was on 24/7! Hence the failure, luckily we did not do the install, we got involved with the WB 40 CDi which was under gassed and no ABV.....Anyhow it failed when they were at a party, it brought down ceilings, poured everywhere, remember this is mains pressure hot water fed via a 300 l Megaflo, it just kept leaking out!

This job is still going on legally, but the twist the owner supplied ALL the materials, the installer just used what he was given, but I feel this is no excuse, after all maybe it is not as well known about using plastic on seconday returns but using plastic on gas because the owner supplied the materials would be no defence either!

Regards the nursing home, it was always the 15 mm secondary return that failed, not the draw offs, which is essentially the same pipe run, only thing I put it down to was when we ripped it all out, all the runs were 22 mm with just 15 mm stabbings for sentinel points in copper, I assume the 22 mm was slightly tougher or different wall thickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to speed fit on secondary return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to...
Replies
Views
As recommended by the welcome email, hello all, my name is James Pirie and I am not a plumber but a keen DIY enthusiast mostly due to the severe...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
just put a new pop up waste into my basin to find the trap does not fit correctly.. the trap fits just inside the waste thread opening and butts...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock