Discuss Solid fuel stove boiler control/ heat charger/ loading valve schematic. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ex tractor man

Hi,
I will soon be installing a multi-fuel stove with back boiler (Woodwarm Fireview 9 with 8.82kw to water) in my living room, with the intention of heating my hot water indirectly and running some radiators. I have done some research on load valve systems and very much like the concept.
I have a schematic drawn by the stove manufacturer and wondered if anyone had any thoughts.
the schematic is at: uuuuuu.woodwarm.co.uk/Rugulus_TSV_02.pdf

The schematic looks good and has allowances for power failure.
The 2 things that concerned me were:
1. It looks to me that circulation pump failure could impede the back up gravity flow/thermosyphon circulation, Would that be the case? To allow for such a case could a LK Acaso Termobac/Thermobac valve be used to allow gravity flow instead of the "power failure bypass zone valve", number 3 on the schematic? As I believe this would, correctly fitted in a circuit, open in case of power failure or pump failure. To find the valve google LK 822 termobac
(I can't post hyperlinks!)

2. Should there be another normally open zone valve after the boiler flow is teed off into the cylinder coil? I was thinking that when the pump is running and the cylinder is up to temperature, the radiator/ heat leak circuit will open, but should the cylinder coil close to avoid boiling the contents?

I hope this all makes sense.
ex tractor man

Your schematic here does conform to current regulations, I strongly suggest if you are not competent you employ someone who is. See the Hetas site for details

Doesn't look right to me, I agree with a controlled temperature return to boiler however you must be very very careful, a better solution would be an accumulator / buffer using a laddomat as that remains open in the event of power failure.

Looks better suited to a controlled fuel source like wood pellet that switches off in the event of power failure, like all solid fuel boilers allowance must be made for dissipation of the residual heat in the boiler.

Thanks for the replies.
ecowarm - it is good to know that it would conform as drawn, I am in the process of getting quotes from hetas certified engineers :) So you don't think pump failure would be an issue?

peteheat - I looked into accumulator tanks/thermal stores, and in a property of my own I could justify the cost (National Trust rented farm Cottage! :( ).
The termobac valve would allow gravity circulation to dissipate residual heat after the pump had stopped (when the flue goes cold) or to allow gravity circulation in case of power failure.
I have done a quick sketch, the pump is still powered on by flue thermostat.
boiler control.jpg
The circulator pump should push the 3 port backflow preventer open for normal operation, but in case of power or pump failure the flap in the valve should failsafe to gravity circulation. Or am I just re-inventing the laddomat! I would very much like to know your thoughts.
Regards
ex tractor man

The system is designed to work with buffers / accumulators not direct feed systems, the manufacturer told me that they are the original designers of the Laddomat type system, that and a few other things suggest to me they are a reputable manufacturer.

Why a flue thermostat?

I rarely move away from manufacturers instructions / data sheets Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solid fuel stove boiler control/ heat charger/ loading valve schematic. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi My grandmothers property has a back boiler heated by a solid fuel appliance using coal. Yes, I know. She’s stubborn! Unfortunately the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really stuck with an issue I have with our soliud fuel back boiler system and my novice understanding is pretty much out of ideas so...
Replies
Views
Hi, Moved in to 1980s bungalow in the last year. Doing renovations and manging things myself (I'm a qualified sparky -- clueless about plumbing...
Replies
Views
Interested on thoughts on this (I've also posted on another forum but thought this might be a better place to ask); Long time lurker, have...
Replies
Views
Hello, So I want to add a solar thermal system to my existing Worcester bosch greenstar but don't want to lose the functional benefits of the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock