Search the forum,

Discuss Solid fuel back boiler not heating radiators in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

My grandmothers property has a back boiler heated by a solid fuel appliance using coal.

Yes, I know. She’s stubborn!

Unfortunately the property has been vacant for a long while, a pipe froze and burst and left damp.

It’s imperative we get the house heated and warmed up enough to dry it out to treat the damage from the damp. Installing gas central heating is a long way off for complicated reasons, the fireplace is the only recourse for now.

Every day for the last week I’ve been getting the fire going with coal; for the first few days both the radiators warmed up and the hot water cylinder got scalding hot.

Unfortunately now the radiators just refuse to warm up despite the water cylinder doing so.

The circulating pump is a Grundfos alpha 2 on setting III - I believe that should be the max output. The system is controlled by a Honeywell panel, setting it to ALL DAY or ON hasn’t made a difference. The rotary dial thermostat is set to the max, 30c.

I’m sat here now having had the fire blazing away for 5+ hours, the pump on for probably 2.5+, but the radiators are still cold to the touch.

If I put my ear to the radiators I can hear sounds indicating the system is pushing water through. There was a gurgling noise from one of them in another room a few seconds after I first started the pump today.

Does anyone have idea why after initially working for a few days, they’re now not heating up, despite the pump seeming to be operating correctly, the fireplace being very hot and the back boiler water cylinder being very hot indicating heat is transferring to the back boiler correctly? Do the radiator pipes to the Grundfos pump link up to the back boiler or do they just run nearby like a heat exchanger kind of arrangement?

Many thanks

Attachments

• D2894BD3-6FC1-43C2-8175-71D67DF6EB78.jpeg
    D2894BD3-6FC1-43C2-8175-71D67DF6EB78.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 11
  • B51FB437-3ED5-490F-BED4-E0768B9C3079.jpeg
    B51FB437-3ED5-490F-BED4-E0768B9C3079.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 46ACA015-E0F1-4C21-A7DA-6D5F8B1151B6.jpeg
    46ACA015-E0F1-4C21-A7DA-6D5F8B1151B6.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 9
  • BE7E1C2C-BFC0-48EC-91D4-9290554708A8.jpeg
    BE7E1C2C-BFC0-48EC-91D4-9290554708A8.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 6476B8FA-CF79-4767-A345-D9ECD96A5EA1.jpeg
    6476B8FA-CF79-4767-A345-D9ECD96A5EA1.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 10
Turned 6/7 rads off and the 7th is slowly warming up. Tepid at best, not giving off any useful heat.

Is it likely one in the ‘circuit’ is knackered having suddenly started having to work again after a year off and is now interfering with the rest, and I now have to find it through trial and error, or can the back boiler system just not cope with the demand of the radiators despite all 7 warming up a few days ago when first put in use again?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Could be a pump problem, impeller/ports fouled with sludge after running for a few days, pump would have to be isolated and the head removed for inspection/cleaning , the cylinder should and probably is circulating by convection only. Don't think that pump displays the power in watts, W, if it does, post it.

Reply to Solid fuel back boiler not heating radiators in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock