Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Solenoid valve magnet in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyHep

DaveyHep Member

Looking for a solenoid valve magnet for checking solenoids.
    I see Danfoss do one but....£45 !!!!!
    Is there a cheaper version available, or do folk just use a 'normal' magnet?
    45 notes seems a bit steep.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

3. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Multi-meter!! + Screw driver.
    Never use anything else!

Pray tell, what does this device tell you ?
    I'm not one for gadgets to be honest but I am intrigued

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Goes on in place of the coil and actuates the solenoid by permanent magnet.

I see them used by fridge engineers on commercial plant but don't see the need on Gas equipment of any kind.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Take an old one off a Honeywell gas valve. Power it up and stick in a screwdriver.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Oh I see. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    I can't think why you would want one on Gas and Oil would be pointless.

Unless I am missing the point behind needing it?

Is it for keeping them open whilst you do something like replace the solenoid ?

To the OP....What do you need it for?

7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Surely all you would need is a brand new solenoid?
    And you could link to a solenoid live (inside control box) if you needed to power it, although not sure why you would need to.
    While on the subject, - Do not put power to a solenoid and leave it, because it will melt and set fire or damage surroundings! The solenoid needs to always cool while attached to the solenoid valve stem, which absorbs the heat it generates.
    I use a screwdriver down the middle of solenoids to test the pull and sometimes I just hold a screwdriver tip to top of solenoid while it is on oil pump, to feel the magnetic pull.

• Agree Agree x 1