Search the forum,

Discuss Soldering issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

direct-network

Wondered if someone can help me,

I am using rothenberger mapp gas with a bullfinch torch. What i am finding is when im trying to solder 15mm copper fittings, they are burning (going green and green flame) before the solder is taking to it!!

Any tips (im also using powerflow flux)

Don't use so much heat. If you can't get away with mapp try propane.

It's more or less on the lowest setting, it's not roaring and you can barely hear it!!!! tut just bought a new canister, will pick up propane too then

Mapp is too hot, use the black bottle gas. Rothenberger gas is a total rip, get a primus/sievert adapter for your gun and you'll save a fortune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mapp is too hot, use the black bottle gas. Rothenberger gas is a total rip, get a primus/sievert adapter for your gun and you'll save a fortune.

Hi thanks for your message, i've only just started soldering really, what is the primus/sievert adaport for?

not always the case, disposible gas bottles are roughly the same price as primus refills, but you get more gas in a disposable

DIY / Professional Range | GoSystem

get the above torch, i have soldered 35mm copper pipe with it but its perfect for 15mm pipe as it has a small flame when set low. Power torches are great but not really needed for general plumbing especially for somebody new to soldering, you can use it on porpane and mapp gas bottles..

I have seen them on slae in b and q for around ÂŁ16-ÂŁ20 pounds.

you have to use a lighter/sparker to light them but whats a disposable lighter cost.

DIY / Professional Range | GoSystem

get the above torch, i have soldered 35mm copper pipe with it but its perfect for 15mm pipe as it has a small flame when set low. Power torches are great but not really needed for general plumbing especially for somebody new to soldering, you can use it on porpane and mapp gas bottles..

I have seen them on slae in b and q for around ÂŁ16-ÂŁ20 pounds.

you have to use a lighter/sparker to light them but whats a disposable lighter cost.

bloody hell i was looking at them but thought they would be sh** so went for a bullfinch. not easy finding the right setup is it?

Also i'm struggling with the gas and torch and wondered if you can get the bottle seperate and have a hose?

bloody hell i was looking at them but thought they would be sh** so went for a bullfinch. not easy finding the right setup is it?

Also i'm struggling with the gas and torch and wondered if you can get the bottle seperate and have a hose?

better to keep the bullfinch torch head and just change to propane
you will find propane alot easier to work with.

not always the case, disposible gas bottles are roughly the same price as primus refills, but you get more gas in a disposable

Dunno where you're getting your refills, but they're less than ÂŁ4 at my merchants, rothenbergers are ÂŁ8 minimum according to net so essentially twice as much.

Rothenberger have a new torch on offer at Graham's which has separate bottle and torch on a hose.

Dunno where you're getting your refills, but they're less than ÂŁ4 at my merchants, rothenbergers are ÂŁ8 minimum according to net so essentially twice as much.

i've got both a primus 2000 and a superfire 2
just bought a refill for the primus a few weeks ago ÂŁ7.60
i can get disposable propane for under ÂŁ7, not rothenburger but similar.

the disposable bottles are 400g but the primus is only 360g

i never seen primus gas refills for ÂŁ4 for a long time, where you getting them at that price.

Rothenberger have a new torch on offer at Graham's which has separate bottle and torch on a hose.

only makes it more awkward to carry around though, and hose ends up getting damaged etc
better not to go down that road imo

you also have to include the inital cost of the 2 primus bottles or the cost of the petrol and time lost going down the merchant to get more gas.

primus have less of a carbon footprint tho.

Last edited:
I always found the primus dirtier than Rothenberger. Used to get a soot deposit on the fittings.

i've got both a primus 2000 and a superfire 2
just bought a refill for the primus a few weeks ago ÂŁ7.60
i can get disposable propane for under ÂŁ7, not rothenburger but similar.

the disposable bottles are 400g but the primus is only 360g

i never seen primus gas refills for ÂŁ4 for a long time, where you getting them at that price.

Plumb centre mate. ÂŁ3.85ish plus vat. I have 2 bottles in van at all times to use with y superfire 2.

Primus 2000 was the torch to get for years up here. If you had anything else it was usually hard to get refills. My usually torch though was a 7kg bottle of propane, tube and torch, saves waiting for refills so often.
But they will not allow the 7kg bottles in multi story blocks in case they leak and the gas goes down the service ducts.

I have also used Petrol and Paraffin lamps. When you have used those you realise how easy gas lamps are to use.

A mate of mine put a petrol lamp on a cooker gas ring in a customers house to warm up and then forgot about it. Result new back of house.

Both where great when cold they where like flame throwers and a well pumped cold lamp flame could reach 15 feet no bother with its flame. Surprising what amuses you when your young isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondered if someone can help me,

I am using rothenberger mapp gas with a bullfinch torch. What i am finding is when im trying to solder 15mm copper fittings, they are burning (going green and green flame) before the solder is taking to it!!

Any tips (im also using powerflow flux)

move the flame about the pipe and fitting more, if you keep it in one place, it tends to burn the flux out. Move the flame away from the fitting and touch the end of the solder where the pipe meets the fitting frequently to see if it is hot enough to melt the solder.

Make sure you've got the tip of the miner blue flame on the fitting when soldering.

Soldering is something you do subconsciously ie you do it without thinking. It is something that is actually quite hard to explain how it is done properly. Any boys i have had i would tell them to watch the flame, don't burn the flux etc etc and they would get leaks if i wasn't watching them because they were concentrating too much trying to follow what i said. I learned to just let them find their own way.
It is just an instinctive thing you will learn.
Btw bin your mapp gas. It is too hot for normal work. It is twice the price, it will discolour your pipe and burn out your heat mats. It solders quicker but takes longer to cool.
Some like it because it is hotter but the only real use on a domestic is if there is a touch of water in the pipe. You can solder with oxy acetylene or oxy/propane both of which are even hotter but why would you.

Both where great when cold they where like flame throwers and a well pumped cold lamp flame could reach 15 feet no bother with its flame.

Lighting it on the kitchen floor with the flame squirting up the wall and no one batted an eye. How times change lol

I had this happen this week when working outside. Flux had got damp. Throw out and buy fresh. I have a 500g tin of flux in the workshop and little flat tins in the toolbox. I fill the little tins up from the big tin save the whole lot spoiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock