Discuss solder and flux -the good, bad and ugly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumdum

Obviously, not all solders and fluxes are all the same,
some must be better than others, and some not quite as good.
so please, would those of you with more experience share with the rest of us their good and bad, solder and flux experiences.
What brands you like to use and what you don't like to use?

la-co for me
ive stopped using laco and started using the one in the yellow tubs i found the laco was actually to good especially with lead free as the solder runs every where the flux has gone making it difficult to keep the joints neat
only down side is occasionally the fitting jam when your assembling which never happens with laco
solder is all the same

Last edited:
powerflow flux is my favorite, just never seemed to have a problem with it and why change a good thing. unless your a physicist or chemist then soldar is leaded or unleaded from all places

Fluxite. One of the least corrosive ones and less inclined to cause pitting of copper. Also I have a 5kg tub I inherited from my Grandad and it's going to last me many years.

Before I had that I used Coraline flux which is almost the same.

Laco is very handy with brush attached to lid.

Powerflow and yorkshire, I use rubber band around tub with flux brush.

I use a damp cloth to clean up, because a few days later it will be bright green and startting to corrode the copper.

Al

thats where the proud plumber comes in, he who polishes his soldered joints with wirewool after soldering, none of that wet rag stuff for me!!

I use everflux, in the white tub with blue lid.

Once ive made a joint I use a spray bottle with a little fairy liquid in to cool the joint and then a damp rag to clean it off. Works a treat and looks neat everytime. Also go round with some wire wool at the end of the job to make sure any surface pipework is nice and clean.

i never cool a joint down prone to crack - or so ive been taught. i use laco, not sure of the solder on a green spindle.

what gas do you guys use - do you use maap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solder and flux -the good, bad and ugly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock