Discuss soil vent pipe in attic without durgo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john1983

Hi

I've recently moved into in a top-floor flat, in an old building, and the top of the soil vent pipe is in the attic, without a durgo - which explains the odour in my flat...

I'm having difficulty getting the letting agency to tend to this, so does anyone know if it's actually illegal to have the top of the soil vent pipe in an attic without a durgo? If so, then I could report it to the council, which should get the problem fixed quicker...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tell the letting agency you are concerned about the build up of methane gas and you will give them 24 hours to fix it or you will have no option to inform the local council environmental health department..regards Turnpin:30:

Not sure if illegal but bad practice and a hell of a stink !
You have to love people really !
Me I hate people

It should be terminated in fresh air or a "durgo" fitted.
Contact your LL in the first instance and if you get no joy inform building control or environmental health.

Yes it is illegal also. an issue for HSAWA as sewer gasses build up in lost space. Hydrogen sulphide, methane , both toxic and both will cause asphyxiation. Bloke fitting dirgo should be confined spaces trained have escape set and has alarm. Also shouldn't work alone. Wouldn't be the first time incorrectly vented foul effluent gases killed some one!

go around to the letting agents office and empty some human waste by the A/C intake. Then ask them if they think its ok and does not need attention.

Hi John 1983 please let us know how you get on as this may prove helpful to other forum members regards Turnpin

Thanks very much for all of your replies - that's very useful.

I'll certainly report back about how it works out...

I reported this to the Environmental Health department of my council, and they've concluded, without a visit, that there's no risk to health in having the open end of a soil vent pipe in the attic space above my flat.

I don't understand how this can be the case, given that it's an enclosed space, and that sewage gas includes flammable methane and toxic hydrogen sulphide, amongst other things. The pipe serves four flats.

They say:

I have spoken to an Officer in our Scientific Services Team and I am informed that the gases that you refer to would be so diluted in the atmosphere before arriving in your flat as to not represent a health threat in relation to toxicity.

The odours you refer to are likely to be in the same gas concentrations as odours experienced in many communities from sewage works which whilst certainly unpleasant, are not considered a risk to health.

So what they say is there happy for your loft to smell of drains, y don't u just stick a dirgo on then to stop the smells

Odd that? Had a house condemned for effuclent vapours being present in sleeping quarters and living space. Perhaps you should reiterate that it's not a background smell but one that's making you sick and you have no way if preventing the smell entering your living space?

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything directly, as it's communal plumbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soil vent pipe in attic without durgo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back