Discuss soil vent pipe in attic without durgo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john1983

Hi

I've recently moved into in a top-floor flat, in an old building, and the top of the soil vent pipe is in the attic, without a durgo - which explains the odour in my flat...

I'm having difficulty getting the letting agency to tend to this, so does anyone know if it's actually illegal to have the top of the soil vent pipe in an attic without a durgo? If so, then I could report it to the council, which should get the problem fixed quicker...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tell the letting agency you are concerned about the build up of methane gas and you will give them 24 hours to fix it or you will have no option to inform the local council environmental health department..regards Turnpin:30:

Not sure if illegal but bad practice and a hell of a stink !
You have to love people really !
Me I hate people

It should be terminated in fresh air or a "durgo" fitted.
Contact your LL in the first instance and if you get no joy inform building control or environmental health.

Yes it is illegal also. an issue for HSAWA as sewer gasses build up in lost space. Hydrogen sulphide, methane , both toxic and both will cause asphyxiation. Bloke fitting dirgo should be confined spaces trained have escape set and has alarm. Also shouldn't work alone. Wouldn't be the first time incorrectly vented foul effluent gases killed some one!

go around to the letting agents office and empty some human waste by the A/C intake. Then ask them if they think its ok and does not need attention.

Hi John 1983 please let us know how you get on as this may prove helpful to other forum members regards Turnpin

Thanks very much for all of your replies - that's very useful.

I'll certainly report back about how it works out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soil vent pipe in attic without durgo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Following a first-floor bathroom remodel done poorly by a plumber in our house a couple of years ago I have stripped everything out and I'm...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi firstly no expert so apologies in advance but have a little bit of knowledge ( sometimes dangerous I know, lol) The wife is wanting to change...
Replies
Views
I recently took off an end stop on the vent/expansion pipe over the heating header tank. I now know why it was capped off. When the 2 way valve...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock