Discuss Slow bath cold feed, airlock or something else? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uselessplumber

Hey, i'm trying to get the bath in before tilers turn up, but the cold tap on the old bath was running really slow. I've since connected a flexi tap connector to the pipe to test and it is running pretty slow, i mean its not coming out like it does the taps in our other bathroom.

I have drained down the system to remove the bath in the first place, so i'm wondering if it could be an airlock.

My question really is, is it possible to have an airlock and still get "ok" flow through the pipe?

Also would the flow seem faster out of a tap than a flexi hose? i don't see why it should, but it really does gush out of our other bath.

I have the bits to connect a hose through the window to the flexi tap connector, but want to be sure this will help!

note: We have a gravity fed system, and the bath feed is 22mm pipe with nothing else on it apart from this bath.

Wouldn't have said it was a airlock if the flow was constant and not spluttering etc.

Sure you got the valves fully open?

You say it's tank fed, have you fitted new taps if so could be high pressure taps

Wouldn't have said it was a airlock if the flow was constant and not spluttering etc.

Sure you got the valves fully open?

You say it's tank fed, have you fitted new taps if so could be high pressure taps

Hey, as my OP says i have a flexi hose connected at the moment. When i first turn isolation level valve the flow is pretty fast then it sort of dies off. Its not spluttering you are right there, but i just have a feeling that it should be much faster. (before i ripped the bath out it was almost trickling out of the tap)

I don't want to fit bath in and connect taps up if its just going to piddle out, as fixing after the event will be a nightmare. Rather than air in the pip maybe there is some solids or something? I take it this isn't a common complaint?

What sort of system have you got open vent or pressurised.

Sorry re-read it. If it's open vent and nothing but 22mm to the tap I'd be inclined to think blockage. Also if using flexible hose this will restrict flow

Sorry re-read it. If it's open vent and nothing but 22mm to the tap I'd be inclined to think blockage. Also if using flexible hose this will restrict flow

Yea its open vent, the fact that it was slow before i put the flexi hose on makes me think thats not impacting it as such.

So how would i clear a blockage? Should i still go for connecting hose to it?

Id wet vac the end and if that doesn't work, trace the pipe back to maybe a failed red wheeled gate valve that's been messed with and sheared in partially closed postion. then go in loft and check outlet in tank, could be a dead mouse blocking the outlet.

Id wet vac the end and if that doesn't work, trace the pipe back to maybe a failed red wheeled gate valve that's been messed with and sheared in partially closed postion. then go in loft and check outlet in tank, could be a dead mouse blocking the outlet.

Don't have a wet vac, i bought adapters and flexi to connect to hose instead, is that a bad idea?

Nothing wrong with isolation valve, i know which one it is, its brand new 1/4 turn lever (pegler), all others (7) work fine, they are good quality valves.

There is also no mice blocking the outlet from tank :D

Somethings wrong somewhere then, is the flexi all twisted?

Somethings wrong somewhere then, is the flexi all twisted?

No its just hanging straight off the pipe into a bucket. I bought it and put it on today, nothing wrong there. As i say the whole reason i thought about looking into "clearing" whatever is wrong, is because before i ripped the bath out the tap bas basically dribbling.

who could if you are careful try attaching the flexi to the mains and see if it will blow the airlock/blockage into the tank, just small 3 second bursts. Mains water.

who could if you are careful try attaching the flexi to the mains and see if it will blow the airlock/blockage into the tank, just small 3 second bursts. Mains water.

Ok, will do this over the weekend, just wanted someone else to think that may be the way to go before doing it :D

Is it best to connect it up (i'm using hose), and put the outside tap on a fair bit, and then use the level iso valve to do the "short bursts"?

Whichever way you feel comfortable, just make sure a hozelock fitting doesn't blow apart in the bathroom.

Are you sure that no debris have fallen down the pipe/s when removing the old bath?
also is the hot better than the cold or the same?

How is the flow to the basin cold tap and toilet supply?

Are you sure that no debris have fallen down the pipe/s when removing the old bath?
also is the hot better than the cold or the same?

Pretty sure that didn't happen.

I haven't connected up the hot, but the hot is slower in the other bath because it goes through cylinder I assume.

Maybe it's time to get a professional or a wet vac to try to get rid of the blockage ... I'd like to as well if you already flushed through with mains ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Slow bath cold feed, airlock or something else? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a 22mm hot and cold water supply to new bath. The pipes finish with compression valves. I need a 500 mm tap connector hose to connect...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock