Search the forum,

Discuss Simplest programmable stat for the over 70's in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Opinions please ladies and gentlemen I have a elderly couple who how can I say it ? are being rather challenging to please needs to be RF Regards kop

Honeywell t3r on manual eg plus for heating minus for no heating

combi pack 4 is the same it’s great

Opinions please ladies and gentlemen I have a elderly couple who how can I say it ? are being rather challenging to please needs to be RF Regards kop
What do they want and what don't they like about the solutions you have proposed?

Googling for 'accessible thermostats' throws up some interesting possibilities. This is a US site but it may have some ideas as to what's out there.

I find the idea of thermostats that 'learn' from usage patterns appealing but I have no personal experience of them and I occupy the 'keep it simple' end of the sprectrum when it comes to controls for the elderly.

It's recommended that elderly people should not let the temperature of their house drop below 18*C, so you might consider two stats in the index room, for 'daytime temperature' and the other for 'nighttime temperature', with a fixed lower limit at 18°C. At the boiler end you have a simple electromechanical programmer that enables/disables the daytime control. If you're using TPI thermostats, I'd consider lengthening the min on-off time, e.g. using the oil default, to prevent complaints about cycling keeping them awake in the night. Make sure the thermostats are clearly labelled 'Daytime' and 'Nightime' in case the couple have carers coming in who are heating engineers...

That last point about carers needing to be able to figure out how to make the house a bit warmer/cooler without difficulty is, in my opinion quite important for elderly people.

What do they want and what don't they like about the solutions you have proposed?

Googling for 'accessible thermostats' throws up some interesting possibilities. This is a US site but it may have some ideas as to what's out there.

I find the idea of thermostats that 'learn' from usage patterns appealing but I have no personal experience of them and I occupy the 'keep it simple' end of the sprectrum when it comes to controls for the elderly.

It's recommended that elderly people should not let the temperature of their house drop below 18*C, so you might consider two stats in the index room, for 'daytime temperature' and the other for 'nighttime temperature', with a fixed lower limit at 18°C. At the boiler end you have a simple electromechanical programmer that enables/disables the daytime control. If you're using TPI thermostats, I'd consider lengthening the min on-off time, e.g. using the oil default, to prevent complaints about cycling keeping them awake in the night. Make sure the thermostats are clearly labelled 'Daytime' and 'Nightime' in case the couple have carers coming in who are heating engineers...

That last point about carers needing to be able to figure out how to make the house a bit warmer/cooler without difficulty is, in my opinion quite important for elderly people.
The old git just likes to fiddle 😂 bud the wife puts the tumble dryer on in the utility room stat is in the hallway so heat builds up and knocks the stat off grrrr it is a a wired T3 because hes messes with it every day it eats the batteries , gonna give em a rf one on a stand he can carry it round with him .

wife puts the tumble dryer on in the utility room stat is in the hallway so heat builds up and knocks the stat off
Okay, not the 'accessibility' problem I had in mind.

Can you move the thermostat to the living room? As long as there is a sun-free location and they don't have an uncontrolled heat source like a log fire, this works pretty well. Actually, for the elderly who tend to spend more time sitting around than working-age folk the living room is in many respects a better location for the thermostat.

Okay, not the 'accessibility' problem I had in mind.

Can you move the thermostat to the living room? As long as there is a sun-free location and they don't have an uncontrolled heat source like a log fire, this works pretty well. Actually, for the elderly who tend to spend more time sitting around than working-age folk the living room is in many respects a better location for the thermostat.
That's the plan Chuck combi 4 RF , as the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time , but you can't please all of the people all of the time, saying that his lpg gas bill is now half what it was before the boiler upgrade fitted a Intergas rapid and has performed we 😆 kop

Reply to Simplest programmable stat for the over 70's in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Honeywell ST699 programmer which is working fine but I want to learn how to decommission it (disconnect it from the rest of the system). Currently I have a Honeywell Home Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF2024) and I am thinking to get the Honeywell Home Mobile Access Kit RFG100 to get...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have a fault on a clients heating system whereby the heating will stay on regardless of what the programmer is doing on its timed function, it'll switch off at the programmer (no light) but boiler will stay on until they turn the stat down, I went and looked at it, they said they...
Replies
Views
I recently posted to request information about supply of a "dual Immersion heater". Two members kindly replied with helpful advice. I tried to respond with thanks but the system persistently refused to accept this; quoting: "Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop (with dividing stud partition wall) currently not covered by the central heating. The former is not currently user friendly in winter, and we get by...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock