Search the forum,

Discuss Simple and basic but everyday and annoying. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I manage to get around it when it happens by moving the fixing or hammering in a large wall plug or screw - but what actually is it that happens when you're screwing into a wall plug, it's biting, if you pulled it out the plug would come too, but it never goes to full tight, just keeps spinning. What has failed?

Also any tips on the subject? I did buy those things you get wet and wrap around them but can never find the things when I need them.

Are you using the right size drill bit for the plugs also are you using the right size screws

Yep, sounds like the hole is drilled to large, i tent to go down a size as the bit vibration generally makes it bigger

Have you never had it when you're doing say 4-6 identical holes in the same wall and one of the fixings doesn't bite all the way? Yeah I then pull it out and force in a larger plug but I still don't get why it happens. It's engaged the plug because if you pull on it - it resists. But those last few turns you do with the screwdriver to get it fully tight won't happen. It'll just continue to turn.

Hmm!

Supposing the drill is the right size as are the screws and plugs. Some years ago they made plugs with a sort of plastic that was too hard and they would not bite but tended to spin. Perhaps a Fischer or a real Rawlplug may be better, but they are dear.

Also some bricks or blocks seem to be softer in some places than elsewhere and so the drilling over sizes the hole.

And yes it does seem to happen a lot when you drill a series of holes. :) :)

Red plugs are the new brown plugs, its very frustrating when you get a wall made out of wenslydale, you have hit a morter joint, a bit of breeze that is all lumpy and disintergrates or even worse the cement slurry "no find" shuttering walls on old council houses, I try and fit a big rawl bolt (10mm) some long frame fixings (12 screw and 100mm + plug) or the ultimate a resin fixing system, drill the hole, put in plug which has holes in it, inject resin which comes out of the holes into the substrate and then bolt up and let it set, not cheap though at £3 ish a fixing but good as a last resort.
Someone once told me that a red plug if drilled into the correct substrate ie an cat B engineering brick with a 10 nscrew will hold 250 kg, Id like to try this I weigh 100kg so I would need a couple of people that wiegh 75kg to hang off the screw at the same time, wed have to be naked though as the extra wieght of our clothes would make it unfair.

its a skill in its own right same as a plumber, a joiner, a fixer=expert at fixing all materials to all surfaces.

for simple non holding plugs, cut a plug length-ways insert into the nose of a full plug and ram it home screw by stepping up a screw size.

the quality of plug is also important as well as the right plug for the right substance as said.

failing all above-keep drilling untill you strike oil.

I liked the "no fine" houses, you could go home with a sack full of coke out of the wall. :) :)

One good idea was to get some cotton wool dip it in Polyfilla and ram that into the hole then screw into that while it was wet.

But the number of different fixings you can get today is fantastic, so try something else if the one you are using isn't much good.

Last edited by a moderator:
gee, i think i am just old enough to remember yankies and a hammer and one of those bits to make holes for raw-plugs that took around an hour each to chop.

I use ...

Red plugs with 5mm drill bit and 4.0x40mm to 4.0x50mm screws.
Brown plug with 6mm drill bit wiggled a bit to make sort of 7mm hole using 5.0x60mm to 5.0x70mm screws.
For cavity walls I use those stubby aluminium things that screw in or Fischer 5 x 37 butterfly bolts.

I reckon on the above working really well about 95% of the time. Anything else (either in the packaging or handed over by the customer goes in the bin or is returned to the customer).

A good tip to get the plug to bite.

Ram a few matches down the side of the plug & screw up. Always worked for me.

gee, i think i am just old enough to remember yankies and a hammer and one of those bits to make holes for raw-plugs that took around an hour each to chop.

70s memories.................site work ...... hanging rads with one of those rawl plug tools and a yankee. We got a battery drill from unifix free with 9 million screws and plugs and I think you could drill about 3 holes with it?

if a red plug is loose smash a brown one in with a number 10 screw however if its thermal****re your boned but have used new thermalshiiite fixings not bad tbh but follow instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Simple and basic but everyday and annoying. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock