Search the forum,

Discuss Shower too hot & can’t change temp. Can’t access thermostatic shower valve in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

A couple of issues I’m hoping can be solved here!

The shower in our en suite is far too hot, and the temperature control just feels loose i.e when you turn it there’s no resistance and the temperature doesn’t change. It also only turns about 45 degrees which also doesnt seem right.

I’ve removed the handle on the temperature control in an attempt to reach the thermostatic valve, but I just can’t seem to work out how to get the next section off. Can anyone help with this please? There’s some sort of spring mechanism in the hole on the second ring that i can’t get off, I feel like that must do something to release the ring but I can’t figure it out

I guess once that’s off I may be able to give more info pictures in an attempt to actually resolve my two issues above

Attachments

• 43FB5FB7-5648-4128-AB55-BA76465757A1.jpeg
    43FB5FB7-5648-4128-AB55-BA76465757A1.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 28
  • 97C9747C-9D7D-42E4-8494-3028F5C4803B.jpeg
    97C9747C-9D7D-42E4-8494-3028F5C4803B.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1A0C2942-1EFF-474E-9E49-F9869184012D.jpeg
    1A0C2942-1EFF-474E-9E49-F9869184012D.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 15
  • C02BD80A-21F4-44BA-BC25-9D02695277F4.jpeg
    C02BD80A-21F4-44BA-BC25-9D02695277F4.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 26
Perhaps it unscrews? Can you see an alley key grub screw in small hole?
Thanks for the reply, i dont think it unscrews as this middle ring is what the spindle on the valve is turned by. Frustrating this is, I've had this middle bit off before when I was tinkering, and can't for the life of me remember how I did it. Can't see any screw in the small hole, there's something with a spring in which I can push down if i push the allen key down there but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Pressing down and pulling off would seem right which no doubt you have tried.. it might be that it has scaled up. Trying squirting some vinegar into the hole at side and front. Leaving for 1/2 hr and retrying.

Failing that I notice this shower seems to have some sort of branding See PB or IB insignia in images of whole valve. Try locating the manufacturer using that and give them a call. Alternatively send these images to Showerdoc.com (based in Scotland) and wait\call after a day or so for their advice.

If you are minded to have a go yourself you could also try removing the flow handle and see if there are any parallel with how that handle is removed.

Pressing down and pulling off would seem right which no doubt you have tried.. it might be that it has scaled up. Trying squirting some vinegar into the hole at side and front. Leaving for 1/2 hr and retrying.

Failing that I notice this shower seems to have some sort of branding See PB or IB insignia in images of whole valve. Try locating the manufacturer using that and give them a call. Alternatively send these images to Showerdoc.com (based in Scotland) and wait\call after a day or so for their advice.

If you are minded to have a go yourself you could also try removing the flow handle and see if there are any parallel with how that handle is removed.
Great spot, it is indeed IB. The brand is IB rubinetterie, an italian brand. Reviews of them seem pretty favourable although I did read one forum thrad where someone says they tend to get hotter and hotter which is what seems to have happened here. If I can get the valve out I'll try and clean it first before getting a replacement.

Thanks for your reply, a great help.

Ive got to the point where I can remove the valve, only i can’t! There are no additional screws i can see that need removing, but no matter how hard i try and turn the spanner, the valve just wont shift. Does anyone have any tips?!

Attachments

• 5BB923DE-D834-4B65-8A20-67CA18984516.jpeg
    5BB923DE-D834-4B65-8A20-67CA18984516.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 14
Couple more bits of info. I closed the hot water source and just ran cold through and that came out fine, so there is defintely cold water getting to the valve. After putting it all together again and playing around with the temperature handle to allow a full 180 degree turn of it, i tested again and there is still no temperature change when the handle is turned :(

I may need a new valve which is well over £100, but would like to try and get this one out first to see if i can clean it and salvage it.

Is there a grub screw in the bottom of the casting, the bit with two "ears" with holes through?
No grub screw, also tried pouring boiling water on it as per a message from shower docs but still couldn't shift it. I'm not comfortable using any more force than I have already tried so may have to call a plumber.

Reply to Shower too hot & can’t change temp. Can’t access thermostatic shower valve in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock