Discuss Shower Seal strip - how easy is it to replace in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smg84

Hey there, DIY noob here!

I've recently bought a flat (converted from an old listed building about 15 years ago so I think that's how old all the interiors will be) and while there is no leaking issues so far I am imagining it's only a matter of time.

I have a shower unit in my en-suite, and it appears to have been sealed using a "strip" to seal between the tray and the bottom row of tiles. I am assuming the strip must go up behind the tiles, but i've noticed that there is a small gap appearing where tray meets strip.

Now the structure of strip it appears is the plastic bit and what appears to be a little bit of flexible seal at the edge (touching the shower tray).

If I were to fix this issue - I assume a seal of the gaps won't suffice, and i'll have to remove or replace the strip, but this isn't possible without ripping off the tiles.

I'm rambling now - but looking for any advice any of you lovely people can provide :)

Thanks!

Maybe a few close up photos would help us see exactly how it is.
It sounds like you have a plastic exposed strip along the tray, (perhaps floor has dried in) and if this is correct then some decent sealant might do the job. I like "ForeverWhite" silicone.
If the tray is on legs it could also be raised up a little, but I guess it is a floor tray?

Maybe a few close up photos would help us see exactly how it is.
It sounds like you have a plastic exposed strip along the tray, (perhaps floor has dried in) and if this is correct then some decent sealant might do the job. I like "ForeverWhite" silicone.
If the tray is on legs it could also be raised up a little, but I guess it is a floor tray?

Im not sure if it's on legs or not? It seems on the same level as the rest of the bathroom floor (there is a raised step to get into the shower but the actual tray is at floor level)

I will try and upload a photo tomorrow from my computer, phone seems to not like adding a photo.

IMG_1774.jpg IMG_1775.jpgIMG_1778.jpgIMG_1777.jpg

Here are some photos. I'd love to redo the whole thing as I am aware the whole thing it tired and a bit worn, but that's at least a year away, and since it's such an old bathroom I doubt i'd be able to find similar tiles if I were to rip them up.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
its behind the tiles sorry to say you have two options

take the tiles off

or

cut the strip flush and do a big sealant bead for now temp until you change it

its behind the tiles sorry to say you have two options

take the tiles off

or

cut the strip flush and do a big sealant bead for now temp until you change it

Is that a special sealant I would need to buy from that?

And it wouldn't be possible to just put the sealant at the gap and over the discoulouring yellow sealant? That is part of the strip, so I am assuming that's not possible to remove individually.

Is it something a diy family member can do, or is best getting in a pro?

Is that a special sealant I would need to buy from that?

And it wouldn't be possible to just put the sealant at the gap and over the discoulouring yellow sealant? That is part of the strip, so I am assuming that's not possible to remove individually.

Is it something a diy family member can do, or is best getting in a pro?

nothing special just good quality sealant 785 or 786

Dow Corning 785+ Bacteria Resistant Sanitary Silicone Sealant |  Geocel

and yes you can or remove the seal from the yellow mark a sharp knife be aware not to go into the shower tray

and upto you tbh depends if your happy to live with your try upto you and this is only a temporary measure until you get it done

I kinda need this temp measure to last until next year though, so would like to do the one with the longest solution, as I would like to install a whole new shower tray and unit and tiles eventually.

I'm definitely a DIY worrier, so whatever appeases my worries the most is the one i'll do :)

nothing special just good quality sealant 785 or 786

Dow Corning 785+ Bacteria Resistant Sanitary Silicone Sealant |* Geocel

and yes you can or remove the seal from the yellow mark a sharp knife be aware not to go into the shower tray

and upto you tbh depends if your happy to live with your try upto you and this is only a temporary measure until you get it done

As Shaun says, cut off the yellowing rubber strip. What you could do is slip a scraper under the part you're cutting to protect the tray.

Use a thin bead of silicon and build it up as you need to. Spray soapy water over the bead and form it with a wet finger, removing the excess often. Make sure that the surfaces are clean and dry before you start!

Hopefully it won't look too bad, or at least bearable until you get a proper job done.

Personally I like this one...

Evo-stik Kitchen, Shower & Bath Sealant - Waterproof acrylic sealant for sanitary applications

It is possible, if you are willing to take the risk, to use silicone on that tile strip.
Trouble is showers have a lot of water running all over that and you need to seal it fully.
I have done a few like that, mainly on baths to ensure the seal strip doesn't let water past it.
If you use a blunt flat object, like a flat butter knife or a flat screwdriver and push it into the rubber joint between strip and tray, you might be able to clean and dry the area with some spray alcohol cleaner. Then use a silicone tube gun to squeeze plenty of silicone all inside the joint by keeping the joint opened at where the silicone nozzle is by moving the blunt knife blade along in front. Make sure corner is also done. Wipe the excess silicone off the outside of joint.

It is possible, if you are willing to take the risk, to use silicone on that tile strip.
Trouble is showers have a lot of water running all over that and you need to seal it fully.
I have done a few like that, mainly on baths to ensure the seal strip doesn't let water past it.
If you use a blunt flat object, like a flat butter knife or a flat screwdriver and push it into the rubber joint between strip and tray, you might be able to clean and dry the area with some spray alcohol cleaner. Then use a silicone tube gun to squeeze plenty of silicone all inside the joint by keeping the joint opened at where the silicone nozzle is by moving the blunt knife blade along in front. Make sure corner is also done. Wipe the excess silicone off the outside of joint.

Don't suppose anyone works as far as outside Glasgow do they? lol

Thanks very much for all your help. I'll get my brother in law to have a look at it and see if he thinks he's capable of doing any of those things mentioned above.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower Seal strip - how easy is it to replace in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock