Search the forum,

Discuss Shower cabin leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Will Silver

I am not quite sure if there is an exact answer to this but just need a little bit of guidance and to see if i am thinking in the right direction. I purchased one of those fully enclosed shower cabins because of the problems a family member had with the standard tray and enclosure.
It has been in about 3 years now without any problems, there was a point where water was appearing on the bathroom floor but i traced this back to a drain connection that had worked loose, I thought this was the cause of water dripping down the wall into the kitchen. The problem is that it has now moved to the centre of the kitchen just before the light fitting.
When the shower is used in the morning, which is at least 3 times there would appear to be a build up of water which drips as described above.
As this is not happening all time can i take it this nothing to do with the feed. With the water mainly going against the doors and draining away without any problem, would I be right in thinking there may be a build of water towards the back of the shower, i havent checked to see if the back is sealed from the outside, the inside certainly isnt at the bottom. Is it good practice to seal the inside or will i have to get someone in to take the cabin apart and start again. Thanks for looking.

Hi Will

The fact that the water is dripping near the light fitting probably means that this is a low point in the ceiling and the water is tracking along joists to this point.

If it is the sort of cabin that requires silicon sealant between the tray and the sides, that would be my first port of call.

If you can take the front off the tray and check underneath with a torch you should be able to see where the leak originates.

Good luck

If I attend a shower leak I fetch a bucket.

Run shower into bucket until nearly full.
Check for leaks - if none then it's not the supply pipes.

Tip bucket into shower tray and check for leaks - if none then not the waste and has to be the screen joins or wall.

Good inspection of silicone joints first. If there's a crack or small hole I'll shower around the rest of the cubicle first then check for leaks. If none then I'll check for the hole/crack and, assuming it leaks, I'll dry it off and repair it.

It's a slightly long-winded practice but it means that once the hole/crack is repaired that I won't have to worry about a secondary leak from the pipework or rest of the shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower cabin leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock