Discuss Should i train to be a plumber with OLCI? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Info Seeker

Hello to you all!

I am thinking of doing an all intensive course with OLCI so i can become a plumber.

So far they are quoting me £5995 which includes:

C&G 6035-02
NVQ Level 2 Diploma in plumbing

As an incentive they will include 4 additional green/renewable modules on top for free.

Also, for an extra £454 and as an extra incentive if i do the above courses with them, i can also do the Part P & 17th wiring regs.

I would like to find out if they as a company are any good and if anyone here has had any recent experience in dealing with them. I.e are the standards of training good etc?

Does the pricing of the above courses seem like a good deal?

I wish to train in the shortest time frame possible and in the closest proximity to where i live.

Any help/comments would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

How much??? Now I appreciate the guy that put me through my time a little bit more.

look I won't encourage anyone to do these courses. You can't go on the course then go in someone house and go ehhhhh oh not seen this before or oh what did my teacher say again. An apprenticeship is by far the best way however I understand it's hard to get one.

Good luck anyway

I agree.

I did a fast-track course and I think they are a bad idea. My dad was a builder and I worked with him since I was old enough to get under his feet so I had a pretty good knowledge base before I started but still, my real learning all happened on the job. No way you can learn real-life plumbing in a workshop.

However, IF you can get someone to give you a chance to work in your free time to gain real experience then a fast-track course is better than nothing, simply because it seems almost impossible to get an apprenticeship.

Hi Info Seeker,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I would like to offer you some reassurance that our plumbing and electrotechnical NVQ courses have been running for over 6 years now and we continue to train and support students who successfully achieve their full NVQ qualifications with us. If you have any questions or queries about our plumbing course then please don't hesitate to give us a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively, you can email me at [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

There are a lot of these threads.Worth looking at some of them.When plumbing was supposedly a boom industry there were masses of Fast Track courses and lots of disappointed fast track plumbers who were/are looked down upon by properly trained tradesmen.Basically they were often not safe to be let loose in customer's homes and no employed jobs were available due to lack of experience.This after many thousands of pounds spent.The situation is in many ways the same except to get the minimum recognised qualification a practical ,on the job portfolio is required.NOT offered by most course providers.It is even harder with gas.There are lots of offers to work for free on here with little or no positive response.It is hard to get into the trade except via an apprenticeship which has age limitations.Even then the incentives are not enough for many to take one on.Sorry about this apparently negative response.Better to check it out before spending so much cash.

Good luck if you decide to pursue a career. But be warned.
You will be lucky to earn £5000 a year in your 1st few years if you go self employed. And i can almost guarantee no one will employ you due to not being apprentice traine. Have a look at current vacancies for gas engineers the pay is pants.

You could be better of learn and be apprentice to a : lime plaster , stone masonry , French polisher , vw transporter mechanic

Good luck if you decide to pursue a career. But be warned.
You will be lucky to earn £5000 a year in your 1st few years if you go self employed. And i can almost guarantee no one will employ you due to not being apprentice traine. Have a look at current vacancies for gas engineers the pay is pants.

why be lucky to make 5000 in first years being self employed, I thought that too but moved to a town I had never been to, started business at 20 made 15 first year and it was only 8 months then 32k second and 38k the next year so it can be done

why be lucky to make 5000 in first years being self employed, I thought that too but moved to a town I had never been to, started business at 20 made 15 first year and it was only 8 months then 32k second and 38k the next year so it can be done

15k clear bottom line profit in first year??

To be honest when I get guys who come from this background they tend not to last very long sadly, mainly due to lack of experience and knowledge. An apprenticeship is really the best thing although I do understand they are nigh on impossible to get.

The problem I tend to have with the fast tracked guys is that they all expect the same wages as those who have got the experience, however they have to be nursed through jobs, and often can not be left to get on with it. Even things like reading drawings can throw them.

I have had a one older apprentice who started with me in his 40's but worked his bum off for very little money really, and was hungry to study as much as he could. He really had the right attitude though, which really helped. If I could give you advice I would suggest to look into more traditional methods of learning and try and get in with someone who can help you get the experience.

Good luck though whatever you decide.

Nobody can train, in any training center to be a plumber in a matter of weeks. (nobody)
It does take time, it does take effort, it also take a great deal (Big) I mean big effort !

Take note of the comments already posted, as there's some good advice here.

It's not a case of putting anyone off, but really think about what you want to achieve after the course, what are you prepared to do, can you afford to live on lower wages for several years...

I spent most of my early years in office based jobs... got fed up with the politics involved and fancied a change, so started labouring for a builder (not a plumber). After a few years and gaining some good trade skills, I decided to focus towards plumbing.

Spent two years at night college completing my C&G Level 2 Tech Cert, doing the theory and practical... then spent a further year doing any jobs I could get (for free) from family and friends to gain my NVQ 2.

Had to finish with the builder due to lack of work, spent some time temping, then went self employed plumbing. It's great when you get the work you're happy doing, changing taps, plumbing in a toilet etc... but as I quickly realised, you hit so many obstacles and that's where the lack of real experience hits you... and if you're an honest person, you're forced to turn work down.

I couldn't afford to keep doing it full time, even doing other jobs such as tiling, decorating etc... The lack of real time experience really does play a part. Funny thing is, I didn't even want my own business, I'd much rather work for/with an experienced chap, but couldn't find anyone.

It's tough, because all you read is 'shortage of plumbers'... but in reality a shortage there isn't.

Really consider your financial situation now and going forward. I'd look at colleges first, so you don't spend out as much (cost me 2.5k in total), but really try and find a chap you can work with... and if you do, remain loyal to him. Good luck mate, hope it works out.

Thanks to all of you that have replied so far.

The thing is that i do not wish to go to college for 2/3 years as this just is not practical.

My thinking is that this current climate is crap for jobs and i have really struggled getting anything decent of late. I thought that if i can get some new skills then that would improve my employability. Plumbing was recommended to me by a builder and as i have done some work in that area before as a plumbers mate (albeit very limited and some time ago but i did enjoy the work), i thought about giving it a go.

Obviously now after reading the comments i'm having second thoughts about shelling out 6/7 grand on something that will seemingly not improve my situation.

The experience factor is understandable but annoying at the same time. I've even gone for a bar job to be turned down because of no experience. I mean, how are you ever supposed to get experience when no one will take you on without experience! It's catch 22 all the time. So frustrating.

In a nut shell, i need to improve my employability and i have a desire to learn some new skills only i can't afford to spend 2/3 years in a college. A thought crossed my mind about travelling abroad and being able to offer my newly learnt qualifications in the plumbing trade as a string to my bow.

Are there any fast track qualifications that would be considered valuable?

I would have to say no, not plumbing wise. You certainly couldn't come from these courses and start your own business it would be far too risky and could get very messy as you would face things you have never seen before and no disrespect intended you wouldn't know what you were going fully.
You also couldn't come from these courses and get a fully time job full pay as again he couldn't just give you a van and make money off you, you would still almost be his apprentice for the first couple years! I would suggest if you are not willing to be on crap which it is crap money for the 4 year apprenticeship to not follow up with your plumbing career. It's an unfortunate thing but if you managed to get an apprenticeship then you are laughing. A course in a workshop please don't!

So cainan, you are ''claiming'' that you moved to a town you don't know and made £15,000 first year then £32,000 etc, etc .... Who knew you in the town? How did you get to drum off the business if no one had ever heard of you?

The advice the OP was given is based on the fact that as he has no experience, going self employed will be a disaster. So, in all earnest, experience is the best teacher.

Cainan you had previously done plumbing work and had experiance?
Op doesnt

Knew no one hadn't even been here before , went round all bathroom and kitchen companies and got lucky I suppose. But of course I do understand I had all qualifications and the op doesn'tdoesn't

Where do you live? The company I work for have taken on 8 apprentices January 2013 & taken on 12 more last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you live? The company I work for have taken on 8 apprentices January 2013 & taken on 12 more last month.

Just moved to Widnes in Cheshire. Where is the company based?

I live in the southwest, my company take on people as guttering guy for a year to see if they're hard workers or not the. After a year they become a plumbing apprentice

Ah southwest.....bit out the way for me then.

Thanks anyway.

To be honest when I get guys who come from this background they tend not to last very long sadly, mainly due to lack of experience and knowledge. An apprenticeship is really the best thing although I do understand they are nigh on impossible to get.

The problem I tend to have with the fast tracked guys is that they all expect the same wages as those who have got the experience, however they have to be nursed through jobs, and often can not be left to get on with it. Even things like reading drawings can throw them.

I have had a one older apprentice who started with me in his 40's but worked his bum off for very little money really, and was hungry to study as much as he could. He really had the right attitude though, which really helped. If I could give you advice I would suggest to look into more traditional methods of learning and try and get in with someone who can help you get the experience.

Good luck though whatever you decide.

I suppose in continuing with the training would be an expensive gamble with the only hope of getting a plumbers mate job at the end for less pay then? I suppose it may work out and it may not.

Something i noticed when i did my fast track gas course was the impression that you were there to get a qualification and that how you got it realy didnt matter. Im sure so of these fast track places have good intentions but the fact is simple you cant properly learn any course like this or plumbing so quickly. Id had 10+ years of experience of working as a pipefiiter and a plumber and on the gas course i struggled even with this background. Some people on the course had never seen a copper tube in there life and in the 8 week theory side of the course we did 2 practical lessons which lasted 20-30 minutes the resources were limited and quite a few people never got a turn at soldering or basic pipe bender work and yet these people were given certification to work on gas in your home. Aswell as this even if by some miracle you do the course and become proficient, being a plumber and running a plumbing business or essentially drumming up work is another education in itself.

There's easier ways to make a living. Don't part with all that money to become a blinking plumber!

There's easier ways to make a living. Don't part with all that money to become a blinking plumber!

Feel free to share if you have any suggestions.

I need to get something under my belt that improves my employability. According to the builder i spoke to who recommended i learn to become a plumber, he said people are always crying out for them (in his experience) and work is often a plenty. And not just in this country either.

I would like to get into the solar thermal/renewables game as well and i need a plumbing background/qualification to start with.

Work is plenty for
builders with £120 wages .......

When you have done all the training + another £10k for van and £5k for tools you would not want to earn that , DO YOU ????????

Work is plenty for
builders with £120 wages .......

When you have done all the training + another £10k for van and £5k for tools you would not want to earn that , DO YOU ????????

£120 a day is a lot more than zero which i'm getting now for starters!

Also one would only get a van and tools if they were going self employed which i would not do to begin with.

I was talking to my Area gas safe inspector on wednesday last week. He was telling me there are GSR's in my area (Bradford) doing cp12's(boiler and cooker) for a £10.00 he was as gob smacked as i was but he swears it's true as he's been inspecting them . he was saying they are doing 6 - 8 day to get £300-£400 a week. he was saying most of his inspections now are new registrations and a lot of them are struggling to find work as they just dont have the experience to get gainful employment.

forgot to add to the above that was self employed aswell.

absolutely laughable you can stack shelves in a supermarket and earn more

£10? Can't be true. I charge £60. I wouldn't bother being self employed for that kind of money

£10? Can't be true. I charge £60. I wouldn't bother being self employed for that kind of money

A regular customer asked me to provide her with a Landlord Gas Safety Cert. I told her £60. She rang me the following day. ''I need two done on same day. How much will you charge for each?''

How far apart are they, I inquired? ''Two doors from mine'', says her.
£50 each was my response. Two hours later, she sent me a txt message. ''My neighbours plumbah says he will do it for £40 each. If you can match that, the jobs are yours''.

I sent her a reply saying it makes economic sense to get the neighbours plumber to provide the Certs. I would rather stay at home watching TV than play this matching games landlords and other customers are embarking on

To the op. I actually trained with OLCI to get my C&G 6129 Level 2 Domestic Plumbing Course. Realistically at my age it was the only way I could get into the plumbing industry.

Boy did I have a very, very steep learning curve when I left. Unable to get a job due to not being able to work for free (I had a mortgage like many do my age) I was forced into self employment basically before I was ready.

It took me around 5 years before I would say I was totally confident as a plumber and even then I (like all of us with a bit of experience) still get jobs that take much longer than expected.

The first year of self employment in this situation was probably the most stressful year of my life to date, and it affected my family and myself. I earnt £8,000 profit between wages and profit in year 1, which, with my lack of experience, I gather was actually pretty good.

Without a fantastic wife who supported me through it I would have packed it in to be honest.

Now, business is brilliant, I am earning a decent wage (which I work very hard to get).

It can be done but believe me when I say it is very, very hard to do through the fast track route.

I was talking to my Area gas safe inspector on wednesday last week. He was telling me there are GSR's in my area (Bradford) doing cp12's(boiler and cooker) for a £10.00 he was as gob smacked as i was but he swears it's true as he's been inspecting them . he was saying they are doing 6 - 8 day to get £300-£400 a week. he was saying most of his inspections now are new registrations and a lot of them are struggling to find work as they just dont have the experience to get gainful employment.

No wonder I am not getting any of this work round here.If this was their sole area of work each one would be doing 1500 to 2000 a year!!!! I know we all have to compete but do they not realise £40 a pop is competitive.I learnt very early on this forum about the 'busy fool'.I was aware when getting started a slightly lower rate might help me get work but this is ridiculous.
We are not giving the OP much to cheer him up.

No wonder I am not getting any of this work round here.If this was their sole area of work each one would be doing 1500 to 2000 a year!!!! I know we all have to compete but do they not realise £40 a pop is competitive.I learnt very early on this forum about the 'busy fool'.I was aware when getting started a slightly lower rate might help me get work but this is ridiculous.
We are not giving the OP much to cheer him up.

i reckon i do 20 cp12's a year in bradford if im lucky because I charge £50 min if people want to work for peanut's they can it doesn't bother me. if you chase low end work that's all you will ever get.

Every year, when we run our labour rate survey, we get a few very low figures. But the vast majority of responses are in sensible territory, which suggests that the £10/hr blokes are not actually that numerous.

i reckon i do 20 cp12's a year in bradford if im lucky because I charge £50 min if people want to work for peanut's they can it doesn't bother me. if you chase low end work that's all you will ever get.
I agree.I tried to get landlord/estate agent work when searching for new work.Estate Agents especially are often a pain .They are price driven especially if they are adding their cut.Even working direct work for landlords comes down to price most of the time.They are often not interested in whether you do vital safety checks thoroughly.How much? or HOW MUCH! is usually a common phrase.These numpties just encourage this trend.Remember once you have taken your tax allowance amount from your profits,up to 40/50% disappears from the rest.
The OP will be ready to jump in the canal!!

Sorry mate, really am trying hard not to come across negative, but I think these fast track courses are not great for the people do them, or the industry. Nice earners for the companies putting them on though.

I have done a lot of work for big firms in London, and if you can maybe even get a labouring job on a site helping a plumber, then do day release college, you may find those who are really willing to help you. I am always happy to teach those who put the effort in.

But when the agencies send out plumbers who have been 'fast tracked' they are often more hassle that they are worth. I have to watch every single move they make, teach them how do do things which a qualified plumber should be able to do no problem, and the amount of work that then has to be ripped out, costing more time and money is really frustrating. I am really wracking my brains to think if I have even met one fast track plumber who has been good enough even to keep for more than a few weeks, and just cant.

I suppose in continuing with the training would be an expensive gamble with the only hope of getting a plumbers mate job at the end for less pay then? I suppose it may work out and it may not.

Hi Info Seeker,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I would like to offer you some reassurance that our plumbing and electrotechnical NVQ courses have been running for over 6 years now and we continue to train and support students who successfully achieve their full NVQ qualifications with us. If you have any questions or queries about our plumbing course then please don't hesitate to give us a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively, you can email me at [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Alana, I know OLCI very well, and of course you guys sponsor this forum, so some honest answers please (and I know every student is different)

1) What percentage of your students complete the course?
2) What is THEIR starting weekly wage when they have finished?
3) Those that finish, how long is the average time to completion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should i train to be a plumber with OLCI? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
D
I have been given a quote to fix a noisy tap. Apparently they have to “replace breech to main shower” — which I understand to mean the thing...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock