Search the forum,

Discuss sheet flooring in new properties in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was asked to alter piping that was upstairs , so i had to get at the pipe work,and of course it was under that green sheeting that slots in together,and it was nailed not screwed down, well my question is how the hell do you lift it without it breaking and basically making a complete mess of it

More helpful post this time (I hope!)

I first look for the joists (finding nails/screws).

If I can't find these easily or cannot rip up more of the carpet without creating major hassle, I drill a hole large enough for my mirror or hand with mobile phone. Then take photo or use torch and mirror to get my bearings.

Then cut along joist down 22mm and next joist down 22mm. Then saw between joists and remove the panel.

Replacing is quite easy as it rests on the joists and screws into place.

I agree, I hate these types of floor!

Edit:
I used to use a circular saw but now use a Bosch 180 PMF which doesn't create half the dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of rads to move with chipboard flooring, I've just asked for the joiner to help me, and then will watch and learn lol

some parts i can't get a circular saw too and i defo can't get a saw in,the nails could not be in a worst place,overall it is a nightmare ,the partition wall sita on a joist and the sheets go through at 90 degrees ,it's going to be messy.

If they are nailed down,kiss good bye to the ones or sections you have to lift,price for new,if you are lucky to get up ,a bonus but do not hold your breath,they are not expensive and it also allows you to cut away from the pipework and as said get a look under to see what is what

imho

how deep can it cut mate

Not sure but around 50mm.

I bought mine with a spare wood cutting blade as if you hit a nail it can blunt quickly. Has a metal cutting blade and various sandpaper sheets (whatever they're for - shaving?)

If they are nailed down,kiss good bye to the ones or sections you have to lift,price for new,if you are lucky to get up ,a bonus but do not hold your breath,they are not expensive and it also allows you to cut away from the pipework and as said get a look under to see what is what

imho
i can understand why joiners use them,but there not, plumber,electrician etc friendly

maybe to generate more work for themselves ? so they can get the jobs of repairing floors lol

just be careful that its not a recently built property with glued down flooring on chamber josts, if so dont cut on joist but along side and refix with battons.

its anoying but i find it easy myself. just how you go about things.
the flooring is 18mm water resistant chipboard and you will not be able to detatch the tongues from the grooves in one piece.
the best way is to cut a circular saw set at 18mm depth, cut the area then wrench it up. this way you wont be chopping cables or nicking pipes.
for the hard to cut areas, use a 12mm flat bit and 'chain drill' a line then rip up.
when replacing you will need some 'scooby doo's' for supporting the new boards or you may wish to remove the existing back to the tongues on top of the joists, personally i dont bother.
then mix up some filler up and fill in all the gaps you created and jobs a good-un.
alternatively, cut some 5'' holes and feed in plastic pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sheet flooring in new properties in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock