Discuss Self Employed Plumber Wanting Quals! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening PlumbersForum

I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it would be best to write about my own circumstances.

Basically ive been in trade for nearly 8 years now (left school a year early to become a builders labourer & have been progressing ever since). Ive now been plumbing for 3 years & been self employed for 2 of those. Im very confident in my work & cover all aspects of domestic plumbing on a daily basis. From full bathrooms to full central heating systems (bar the gas work obviously).

I was offered a job with the council last week & would if loved to take the job but without qualifications I have no chance of being even looked at by any major firm. This has lead me in search of the quickest way to be at least level 2 Nvq qualified. I wouldnt even look twice at these short “fast track” courses ive read enough on them to know thats a no go. Im wondering if I can have a assessor out to look at my work, I have companies I could get days work out of to do the relevant work on site so is this the best route for me?

As stated im very confident in my practical work, but is a theory test also taken within the Nvq? I spoke to a college that told me they have a Nvq only course to get a portfolio put together but the theory side is what worries me as I dont have a clue about that.

Sorry this is so long winded but really wanted to give a good idea of my circumstances & where im up to,

Thanks in advance!

Hello Reese,
I dont envy you, I've been in similar places in my career and getting a break can be really hard.
I did night school for my nvq about 15years ago
And altho it was a ball ache and mostly a waste of time (on the educational side) it's not hard if you show up. Nights were full of characters, useful tips and helpful contacts that's where the real value was!

Would it be quicker to attend a night course & qualify that way over getting an apprenticeship? I don't struggle for work & have a few small companies that even filter smaller jobs they don't have time for so an apprenticeship wouldnt be hard to come by. Its just the time scale im toying with at the moment?

My course was 2 years I think, then I took a pay cut to work for a company that promised me my gas quals. They just took advantage for years so I ended up doing it myself anyway.
I'm sure there's quicker routes but it's all experience

Good evening PlumbersForum

I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it would be best to write about my own circumstances.

Basically ive been in trade for nearly 8 years now (left school a year early to become a builders labourer & have been progressing ever since). Ive now been plumbing for 3 years & been self employed for 2 of those. Im very confident in my work & cover all aspects of domestic plumbing on a daily basis. From full bathrooms to full central heating systems (bar the gas work obviously).

I was offered a job with the council last week & would if loved to take the job but without qualifications I have no chance of being even looked at by any major firm. This has lead me in search of the quickest way to be at least level 2 Nvq qualified. I wouldnt even look twice at these short “fast track” courses ive read enough on them to know thats a no go. Im wondering if I can have a assessor out to look at my work, I have companies I could get days work out of to do the relevant work on site so is this the best route for me?

As stated im very confident in my practical work, but is a theory test also taken within the Nvq? I spoke to a college that told me they have a Nvq only course to get a portfolio put together but the theory side is what worries me as I dont have a clue about that.

Sorry this is so long winded but really wanted to give a good idea of my circumstances & where im up to,

Thanks in advance!
They offered you a job so take it! End off.

Reply to Self Employed Plumber Wanting Quals! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in...
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock