Search the forum,

Discuss seized up drain tail in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone

came to drain my CH today to replace three way MID valve. thought I'd use one of the drain tails.. fitted to every RAD! (No low point drain access on my system) The tail is the vertical type between the valve and the Rad.. chromed tube with a rad key type release square head.

Only things is I could not budge it and was frightened of doing something that made it leak.. so in desperation i used the brass drain tap above the boiler to lower the heating water level. (Mid valve in airing cupboard upstairs.)
OK.. the job is done but I want to replace a radiator later in the month (got one ready) but I want to use that drain tail on the old rad too.. make it a lot easier.. Anyone had success with loosening these drain heads. they look soft like the vent plugs :(

many thanks for your advice..

Think you just take your chances with them, maybe you’ll get lucky
Thanks.. I'd like to try something easier than a bleed key.. Apart from awkward.. Not easy to put much purchase on them. Square socket? Freeing spray possible?
Clutching here :)
.. Ps. What a wide variety in pricing (for literally the same item) on plumbing stuff!

Tried spraying with wd-40? I usually find tapping the key with a hammer loosens them sometimes. However why not renew it if your renewing the rad?
You could try draining through the rad valve.

Tried spraying with wd-40? I usually find tapping the key with a hammer loosens them sometimes. However why not renew it if your renewing the rad?
You could try draining through the rad valve.
thanks for the tip.. forgot about easing fluids.

Yes i could do that... been looking at some of the ideas/kits.

I would like to flush the whole system (the rad i have as a replacement is upstairs and so draining even with the valves open wont drain most of the system water out) the only other drain tap is the one over the boiler on the ground floor right high up by the ceiling in kitchen.. all of the rads on the ground have these tails and was hoping that at least one of them would free up.

I'm definitely going to try your suggestion.. thanks.

all of the rads on the ground have these tails and was hoping that at least one of them would free up.

If your going to flush the system then you will need a reliable drain valve, so you could try draining through the rad valve on the ground floor and then change for a new drain off?

Reply to seized up drain tail in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock