Discuss seeking for leaks?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I am looking for a leak in a heating system and can't seem to find it. But from my experience, when you find a fitting that has a dry white powder around it, it has been a fitting that leaks. So, does this white powder mean that there is a leak there? or if not, what is this white powder?

limescale exactly. And where does limescale come from? water. So, there must be a leak for it to get there in a big lump around the fitting hey? Well that's what i'm thinking any way

Limescale or Calcium. Inject some Fernox Leak Sealer in the system to seal any small leaks and some descaler.

but system, Am i correct in thinking that if i see this around a fitting, it has been leaking?

Most likely it has been leaking. Check that the radiator isn't corroded too and has a small pin hole or crack allowing water to leak onto the fitting.

calcium is the main culpit making water hard. The water carries a small amount through the leak and then the water evaporates away leaving the white residue. It is also IMO why some fittings that weep seem to seal after a period of time unitl messed with and break the calcium build up.

cant it also be the wrong flux causes a white powder around the fitting a few weeks/months later (seem to remember going to a place and this looked more likely then a leak

dry powder equals leak has sealed and look elsewhere, give sealer a go as advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to seeking for leaks?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock