Discuss Sealed Flu - Engineer cannot inspect or fit hatches - Any options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

badasschris

Hi we recently tried to get a gas safety certificate in our flat but because the flu is sealed it has been marked as at risk.

After paying for investigation work (~£100) we were told that they could install inspection hatches (£400-£600) and that would be the end of the matter. However after cutting a hatch hole in the ceiling of the shared hallway the engineer says this

"after opening up the ceiling void to hopefully expose the boilers flue it was still concealed.There are cables and other services that have been protected by what looks like a fire resistant board. I cannot remove these boards for obvious reasons."

What options do we have now? I'm guessing none and we will have to remove a perfectly good gas system and replace with electric heating. Is there no other way to inspect a concealed flu apart from fitting these inspection hatches? e.g. inspection cameras?

The heating system is a boiler with a water tank and I think the water tank has an electric heating option. Is that just for emergencies or could it be used as the main water heating method and just have to install electric central heating and remove the gas boiler?

Any advice is really appreciated as the costs keep mounting.

Thanks,
Chris

you can get electronic co sensors that turn off your appliance when co is detected. But you would have to find out if its possible to fit them in a comunal space and meet fire regs etc.....

something like the baxi NoCo system may be a possible solution.

you can get electronic co sensors that turn off your appliance when co is detected. But you would have to find out if its possible to fit them in a comunal space and meet fire regs etc.....

something like the baxi NoCo system may be a possible solution.

Thanks for this, do you know if it is required to have the sensors placed all along the flu or only for the portion that is within the house?

Sorry for double post, this forum seems to update really slowly. Apparently the sensors are not an option because he needs to be able to see where the flu goes and he cant. So they are going to cap the gas and we have to buy tenants temporary electric heaters.

Crazy that the central heating system was given the all clear last year and now it looks like it need to be removed.

I doubt it but is this somethign that can be claimed on buildings insurance?

Thanks for this, do you know if it is required to have the sensors placed all along the flu or only for the portion that is within the house?

i would think they must be fitted to the manufacturers instructions to ensure they meet the required regulations.

Fit the CO sensors
I thought those CO sensors were only a temporary solution while the new regs were being brought in

I just realised it was Kirkgas who said that so i'm probably wrong

where do you fit those CO sensors, does it have to go to a solenoid like commercial kitchens

Last edited:
You can have CO sensors that interlock the boiler, however this is only a temp solution when the boiler is replaced you must comply fully (hatches, etc.) or move boiler to a better location (external wall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealed Flu - Engineer cannot inspect or fit hatches - Any options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Back