Currently reading:
Scratching my head Worcester heat-slave fault

Discuss Scratching my head Worcester heat-slave fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey guys hows it going? need a bit of help did not want to post in the public oil forum & its not a gas boiler so here I am.

Greenstar Worcester heat-slave 18/25 oil

Went to Look at a leaky boiler today - No prob's, leaking flow switch remade joins shes okay no leaks.

Go to recommission the boiler, turned her on set both the boiler stats HW & CH to about 3.

Waited for about half hour, fecking thing is still running, another 15 mins.... still running(the boiler was warm when I arrived) Room Stat is not calling, Hot tap not running. Heat bank in boiler getting a little bit too hot for my liking.
So I turn Both the boiler HW & CH stats to their lowest setting & made sure the room stat was not calling, Shes still running.
The rads are getting bouncing even though no stats are calling. The hot water comes hot for about 30 seconds the goes luke warm.

What do you guys think? I'am thinking that the CH micro switch on the diverted may be stuck on.

Anyone come across a fault like this before, its not often I come across a boiler that wont stop running.

cheers

On the gas ones, the heat store of hot water scales up. You get a bit of hot water then it goes cold. If that's the case the boilers an uneconomical repair. I've seen it at least five times.

Had problems with those paddle flow switches before, did you take it out? Sometimes they jam open and the boiler thinks h/w is being called.

Had problems with those paddle flow switches before, did you take it out? Sometimes they jam open and the boiler thinks h/w is being called.

Yes I took it out and the "paddle'' seems to move freely back and forth, no scale, tested it with the multi meter and the switch is okay.

Hmm I was just wondering, how these paddles actually return to the switch off position, onnce the tap has been turned off?

Thanks for the posts btw guys

Can't you do a continuity test on it?

Yes I've done this, with the switch detached from the boiler. Swtich is okay perhaps its sticking once connected to the CW.
Assuming he switch is sticking open constantly, how would this cause the HW to stay to for 30 sec the go luke warm?

It might do, if I remember right it has a hw pre heat. So the store would be exhausted quickly. Isn't there a connecter so you can test the switch in situ? And also isn't there's tell tale light on the control panel when hw called for?

Yes I should have defiantly tested it in situ I can un-plug it form the pcb and check it, that will be my first port of call.

No there's no light for HW just Power & Lock out

Thanks for the help

There's got to be a plug connecter somewhere.Disconnect and test in situ with tap on and off.
As I said these are prone to the heat store being solid, new boiler required. Ring Worcestor while your on site.

god its only 5 1/2 years old, literally no long run out of warranty period.

The heat store being scaled up?

I remember, pricing a heat bank for an older heatslave once. Ouch.

I have had the drayton diverter on those play up. The spindle leaks a little, the hot water gets on the mircoswitch and as you say keeps ch on. Take cover off diverter and look, or pull multiplug off pcb.

god its only 5 1/2 years old, literally no long run out of warranty period.

The heat store being scaled up?

I remember, pricing a heat bank for an older heatslave once. Ouch.

Ive had them go at eight years old, is it a hard tweet area? It might not be that anyway.

Sometimes they just play up when you take them out, if you lift it vertically and replace it sticks open. I would pick a new one up but go back, isolate and make sure existing isn't being an arse. They plug into the PCB so you can pull it out to test. I don't remove them now when fixing the leaks, just re washer one side at a time.

Seems to co-incidental that the problem only occurred after re-was hearing.

Fixed guys thanks for your help.

Diverted was jammed on 'B' CH, loosened off the spindle on the valve body, working great now.

Flow switch was duff.

Its a common thing I used to find on the worcester combi. The diverter would leak or be jammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scratching my head Worcester heat-slave fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock