Search the forum,

Discuss Safety checks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

What safety devices are regularly checked for operation on a combi boiler?

On an oil combi, away from the burner and oil supply, I always check expansion vessel charge and pressure relief valve activation. Even if it wont reseat and I have to fit a new one.

On an oil combi, away from the burner and oil supply, I always check expansion vessel charge and pressure relief valve activation. Even if it wont reseat and I have to fit a new one.

Do you test the new one?

are you talking gas related for a landlords cert? flame supervision?

Basically without discussing gas on open forum you would

Do checks in accordance with MI, TB12 and reg 26.9.

How you would do them im not saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manually.

With respect, how is that "testing"?. A proper test, if you are going to do it, IMO, is to make sure the valve opens at the required pressure. (Although I dont do oil, just gas). Personally, I don't - there is way too much chance of the valve not seating and causing a repair, or worse, a call back. I don't know about oil boiler PRV's but gas ones are generally make/model specific, reasonably expensive, and can be a real pain to change.

I never set off a prv. If it aint dribbling - its working as far as im concerned

What amazes me in this industry is that there's set regulations that we have to adhere to. As mentioned 26/9. Yet out of the very few replies to this question, there's already a debate about whether a specific test should be carried and how it should be done. Are the regs put in place as guidance and should we determine how to use them ? We all do things very differently.

With respect, how is that "testing"?. A proper test, if you are going to do it, IMO, is to make sure the valve opens at the required pressure. (Although I dont do oil, just gas). Personally, I don't - there is way too much chance of the valve not seating and causing a repair, or worse, a call back. I don't know about oil boiler PRV's but gas ones are generally make/model specific, reasonably expensive, and can be a real pain to change.

Manual is better than ignoring because you cant be ar$ed to fix it.

Its just making sure it lifts and has not been manufactured incorrectly or seized in place.

Oil ones are about ÂŁ6 and a piece of p to change.

Manual is better than ignoring because you cant be ar$ed to fix it.

Its just making sure it lifts and has not been manufactured incorrectly or seized in place.

Okay, fair enough.
But I thought you said you test them :yesnod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Safety checks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock