Search the forum,

Discuss Running water main externally in a sleeve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Has anyone done this?

I need to get a supply from the kitchen to an unvented cylinder on the 1st floor. Only way really is out under the sink, around the sid of the building and up the wall into the airing cupboard.

What's the easiest way to run this pipe in a waste pipe insulated?

Cheers

I wouldn’t personally do it, whoever your water undertaker is might see it and pull it for breach of water regulations (think of undue warming).

You can get special ducts for it I’m guessing

Alk ?

How far?
May be run it inside a waste pipe as you suggest. Then build a plywood/timber box around it and squirt in some cans of expanding foam for insulation.
Or build a “box “ using thick celotex then an outer ply/timber box for physical and uv protection.
I did a similar thing on a freeby at the local pre-school.
We then topped it all off with a continuous bench made from decking offcuts from the same project - so it looked good and was useful too.

Thanks all. This is around a 20 metre run with 6 fittings. Not sure how I would put it in a waste pipe and with elbows etc. The insuduct is extremely expensive as well at £75 for 835mm which is big as it holds 3 x 35mm pipes.

Use the armaflex then

Insulation goes on the pipe first eg no split then joint it eg elbows couplings etc

Thinking if you ran it in soil pipe then properly insulated in
I am not quite sure how to put in a pipe though.

For some reason I am not getting notified by email of these messages

If going external, then you need to consider sufficient insulation to minimise warming and maximise frost protection. Unfortunately, its unlikely that a nitrile based insulation will do both jobs. The reason for that is you need thick insulation to minimise warming but thinner insulation coupled with trace heating to protect against frost.

The best insulation for this job is the rockwall stuff wrapped in reinforced silver foil. Unlike any of the plastic stuff, it does NOT shrink at 4 degrees C. That comes in 1m lengths so you can slide it into soil pipe and I believe that would give you what you need.

It is possible to run trace heating under it too, so you truly are protected.

Thinking if you ran it in soil pipe then properly insulated in

If going external, then you need to consider sufficient insulation to minimise warming and maximise frost protection. Unfortunately, its unlikely that a nitrile based insulation will do both jobs. The reason for that is you need thick insulation to minimise warming but thinner insulation coupled with trace heating to protect against frost.

The best insulation for this job is the rockwall stuff wrapped in reinforced silver foil. Unlike any of the plastic stuff, it does NOT shrink at 4 degrees C. That comes in 1m lengths so you can slide it into soil pipe and I believe that would give you what you need.

It is possible to run trace heating under it too, so you truly are protected.

Hi, thanks for this info. Soil pipe is actually going to be a bit big for this. Was hoping for 2 inch waste or rain water pipe.

Can you run internally under the ceiling and box it in

I offered this but as the incoming mains is in the kitchen and the cylinder cupboard is the other side of the house it will be a lot of runs through walls etc and he not keen.

I contacted groundbreaker who do insuduct and they said it is possible with 3 different ducts.

Hi Lee

Thanks for your enquiry, I hope the attached will help you get over your challenges on site.

INSUduct is designed for vertical surfaces and doesn't turn through 90 degrees easily except to turn into the wall as the details provided.

To turn at right angles to the wall, I would recommend the use of SHalloduct, which as you will see from the attached detail able to be located within either a "twin wall" pipe or extruded pipe such as a rainwater pipe (you need a minimum of 90mm clearance - if larger just use a tie to hold the two halves together).

If you need to join pipes or use a 90 degree equal elbow to go around a bend, these are often a bit "clunky" so simply ream out a little of the insulation to give space for the fitting.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Steve

Personally i would walk away sounds like it would look a bag of s***. Wouldnt want to put my name to that imho.

Another note i always laugh when expensive laminate is everywhere and you get a request to look at a job where you cant access pipes.

Reply to Running water main externally in a sleeve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock