Discuss Rubber bungs for loft tanks in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Sounds like a good alternative to draining the tank while I replace teh gate but when I do the calcs there's only about half a pound of water pressure keeping the thing in. I don't know whether I am happy with that when there's 50 gallons of water in it ready to escape. I would be happier if there were some kind of spring loaded contraption that I could put between the bung and the other side of the tank to improve its security.

Anyone know of such a device? Home made even?

Thanks

Used the old spud and carrot before got a bung kit. 😄
Mixed results depending on system design but saved hrs of work refilling and bleeding a large system.
Make sure you close pump valves and any other AAV that might be fitted on system & remember you will loose a litre of so before the water hold.
Always have everything ready in case vacuum lets go anyway.
Never rely on it 100%

Used this method in dozens of times & not had any major mishaps.

Bung in the tank had always worked for me, if it’s open vent central heating you are dealing with, then I use a speedfit stopend on the vent pipe in preference to a bung ( as it can’t fall off). Although once you start to drain down the vacuum which forms helps to hold the bung anyway.
Remember to only have one open joint/ cut pipe at a time - otherwise you lose the vacuum and you are in big trouble!
He said 50 gallons so I assume it's the cold water storage tank he's talking about.

Sounds like a good alternative to draining the tank while I replace teh gate but when I do the calcs there's only about half a pound of water pressure keeping the thing in. I don't know whether I am happy with that when there's 50 gallons of water in it ready to escape. I would be happier if there were some kind of spring loaded contraption that I could put between the bung and the other side of the tank to improve its security.

Anyone know of such a device? Home made even?

Thanks
Champagne corks Centralheatking

Reply to Rubber bungs for loft tanks in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back