Search the forum,

Discuss Reverse circulation? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Just had extension built with 1 new rad and 1 plumbed in towel rail. Since this was connected I have had problems with radiators getting hot with only the HW on.

Have checked the motorised TWV and this appears to be OK. I have tested for reverse circulation in an existing upstairs radiator and it was clearly present. However the plumber is adamant that this could not be caused by their work.

At his request I checked to see if the newly added radiators got warm with HW only on - they did, but only after some time. Downstairs radiators got hot first. Also the flow in the new radiators does not seem to be reversed, i.e. when I put the CH on the same pipe on the new rad that was getting warm slowly now gets hot fast. My assumption is that this means the reverse flow is going all the way through the other radiators and back to the TWV from where it then goes through the feed to the new radiator and back to the return pipe. From what I've read it sounds like this might occur if they teed into the return pipe after the return from the rest of the system, would this make sense?

Are there any other possibilities that anyone can suggest?

Any help much appreciated - he is pretty confident that it's not his problem and it must have been there all along, but I've lived in the house for 12years and I think I'd have noticed by now! Just want to get my facts straight before I get into a technical discussion!

Cheers,
Martin

Easy way to tell turn this two rads off and see if the problem goes away / doesn’t happen no more

Is the TWV a 2 port? Put hot water on and feel the open side of the 2 port valve (if that’s what it is), if it’s hot/warm then I’d say you have let by of that valve.

Thanks for the suggestion - can't believe I didn't think of this.

So, with new rads off problem magically goes away. Think plumber has some work to do...

We're also getting water coming out of the overflow pipe (a stream not just drips) when HW is on, this is coming from the expansion tank not the CW tank. Float valve is closed and underwater! Could this be linked.

Thanks again
Easy way to tell turn this two rads off and see if the problem goes away / doesn’t happen no more

If you can try removing water from the tank so the ball is not under water nest way keep removing water until the ball valve starts to dribble in and then leave it and monitor could be the level was set too high or the valve has failed best to drain the tank when the system is cold eg no heating on etc

So, with new rads off problem magically goes away. Think plumber has some work to do...

We're also getting water coming out of the overflow pipe (a stream not just drips) when HW is on, this is coming from the expansion tank not the CW tank. Float valve is closed and underwater! Could this be linked.

Thanks again
Was there a new circ pump installed or was the setting changed in a existing pump?
Can you show the vent and cold water feed to/from the Feed &expansion tank and where it connects into the system.

Thanks again
Just quick update. Plumber denied any responsibility at all. Says if there is any back circulation it must have been present already before they did anything.

He showed me where the new rads teed into the return. The pipe they go into appears to be the main return to the boiler - it goes straight up into the loft and back to the boiler with no other tees that I can see. This tee is physically above the HW cylinder so it must be after the HW return tees in.

I asked where the existing rads teed into the return and he said he didn't know and it didn't matter.

I think this is barn door for reverse circulation, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks, Martin

Definitely shouldnr T in above the cylimder, normally the flow/return manifolds would be side X side alongside the HW cylinder (if upstairs). years ago got my attic converted and they Teed in above the cylinder with the flow piipes from the vent pipe and I was getting all sorts of weird circulation until I modified it myself.

There’s your issue should be before the hot water cylinder return tee eg so cylinder tee is the last tee into the boiler

100% he’s done wrong if it’s the last tee before the boiler

Reply to Reverse circulation? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock