Search the forum,

Discuss Return pipe hotter than flow from boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Seems strange and I may be reading the MI wrong but i dont understand how the return pipe seems to be hotter than the flow.

I have a Vailant EcoTec 438 conventional condensing boiler.

Here's a photo of the install. You can see the plumber put a Magnaclean on what i thought is the return flow from the boiler. When the boiler fires up the pipe work attached to the maganclean(what i thought was the return) gets hotter quicker??

I have mis understood something? Is this normal?

I've included a snippet of the manufacturers install manual.

Attachments

• BoilerMI.png
    BoilerMI.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 22
  • bopiler 1.png
    bopiler 1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
If the circ pump is on the same pipe then its more than likely that the filter has been installed on the flow, just follow the pipe back to the boiler and you should be able to see whether flow or return.

If the circ pump is on the same pipe then its more than likely that the filter has been installed on the flow, just follow the pipe back to the boiler and you should be able to see whether flow or return.
Cheers John, I'll have a go at tracing the pipe to the pump. But if you look at the photo i've attached the filter is on what the boiler manual says is the return.

My query is that this pipe heats up ALOT quicker than the Flow as layed out in the manual.

In the photo you can see I have two pipes at the back of the boiler at the top. In the manual it says the one on the left is return the one on the right is flow.

What i cant get my head around is that the one on the left gets really hot very fast. Then the one on the right gets hotter after a bit(few mins).
??

Zaceverett - I think you are right about the flow and return. Strange! Has the pump been installed pumping in the wrong direction ? 🤔
Photo of the pump and piping?

Zaceverett - I think you are right about the flow and return. Strange! Has the pump been installed pumping in the wrong direction ? 🤔
Photo of the pump and piping?
Here's a photo of the pump I think this is the correct way. The boiler has been running like this for the last 9 years since plumber installed it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_122705014.jpg
    PXL_20230607_122705014.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 13
Check to see on which pipe the pump is on, the flow (RH) or the return (LH), then check for arrow on the pump to see if its pumping away from the boiler or towards it.
If the pump is (correctly) on the flow then it should be pumping away from the boiler, if installed on the return then it should be pumping towards the boiler.

Reply to Return pipe hotter than flow from boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock