Discuss Return pipe hotter than flow from boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Seems strange and I may be reading the MI wrong but i dont understand how the return pipe seems to be hotter than the flow.

I have a Vailant EcoTec 438 conventional condensing boiler.

Here's a photo of the install. You can see the plumber put a Magnaclean on what i thought is the return flow from the boiler. When the boiler fires up the pipe work attached to the maganclean(what i thought was the return) gets hotter quicker??

I have mis understood something? Is this normal?

I've included a snippet of the manufacturers install manual.

Attachments

• BoilerMI.png
    BoilerMI.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 24
  • bopiler 1.png
    bopiler 1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
If the circ pump is on the same pipe then its more than likely that the filter has been installed on the flow, just follow the pipe back to the boiler and you should be able to see whether flow or return.

If the circ pump is on the same pipe then its more than likely that the filter has been installed on the flow, just follow the pipe back to the boiler and you should be able to see whether flow or return.
Cheers John, I'll have a go at tracing the pipe to the pump. But if you look at the photo i've attached the filter is on what the boiler manual says is the return.

My query is that this pipe heats up ALOT quicker than the Flow as layed out in the manual.

In the photo you can see I have two pipes at the back of the boiler at the top. In the manual it says the one on the left is return the one on the right is flow.

What i cant get my head around is that the one on the left gets really hot very fast. Then the one on the right gets hotter after a bit(few mins).
??

Zaceverett - I think you are right about the flow and return. Strange! Has the pump been installed pumping in the wrong direction ? 🤔
Photo of the pump and piping?

Zaceverett - I think you are right about the flow and return. Strange! Has the pump been installed pumping in the wrong direction ? 🤔
Photo of the pump and piping?
Here's a photo of the pump I think this is the correct way. The boiler has been running like this for the last 9 years since plumber installed it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_122705014.jpg
    PXL_20230607_122705014.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 14
Check to see on which pipe the pump is on, the flow (RH) or the return (LH), then check for arrow on the pump to see if its pumping away from the boiler or towards it.
If the pump is (correctly) on the flow then it should be pumping away from the boiler, if installed on the return then it should be pumping towards the boiler.

Reply to Return pipe hotter than flow from boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have a Worcester Bosch 8000 life 40kw boiler on system with 7 radiators and the boiler is located in the loft of a 1907 end of...
Replies
Views
R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
Hello folks I've moved into a property last month and started to note things that may need looking at. Some of the radiators on the ground floor...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock